Snakes on the Kentucky River.

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by kyredneck, May 27, 2009.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was out on the KY River most of the morning yesterday and it was bookoo snakes on the water; i seen at least a dozen, one even wanted in the boat with me. They're all what i call water snakes. Is it mating season or something? Other fisherman remarked the same thing here. Any of you all noticing a lot of snakes now?

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    They were bad at Wilgreen on Sunday . The kids really don't like them or my wife at least they aren't moccasins:crazy:

3. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    we notice alot at Melvern here in Kansas,I guess those limbliners should be careful . I think they are plentiful around here due to all the water being up.

4. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    Heard reports from Shanty Hollow it was covered up by them. Also heard about alot on the Cumberland in Tn. It may have something to do with the amount of water we've had.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I HATE SNAKES!!! don't let any of them in the boat with you. Wonder how they would be for cut bait???

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    the problem must be universal, cause we seein alot of snakes out to. i just thought i was the high water.

7. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i saw 3 at lake oconee ga last weekend 2 of which tried to hitch a ride in the boat:crazy:

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    This is normal for the time of the year. They are looking for each other and will get together in groups for breeding. Thats about all I know about it. I have seen this yearly on the cumberland for many years. Oh, they will get in the boat with you and they can be good bait at times.

9. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Thanks Danny. That's kinda sorta what i figgered. I never thought about using them for bait, but they would be hard to catch because they dart under water in a flash when you chase them. Might get lucky and dip one in the net.

10. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    As far as bait. Not sure about cats but Ive seen largemouth bass eat small ones. I seen a snake at a zoo in Md yesterday trying to eat a bullhead about 3 times its size.

11. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    As far as catching 'em, buddy up with guys running trotlines. They're bound to have a few for you!!

12. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Has anbody seen the bill dance blooper where his lure is caught in a tree.He's shakin this tree and a snake falls in the boat!!Lmao:smile2::smile2:Ole bill starts doing the white man rain dance!:wink:

13. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i have no use for no kind of snake

14. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    They jus seem to be everywhere I go, and I dont particulary like it cause im a bank fisherman.:embarassed:

15. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Especially when you fall asleep and wake up with em !:crazy:

16. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    They are out here really bad also . I have a rod and reel set up with a #4 treble and a split shot right above hook I use it to snag into the snake by casting a little past the snake and giving it a quick jerk . It usually snags into the snake everytime . I then reel him in and chop of the head and throw it back in by the waters edge for the turtles and what ever else wants a bite .

17. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol. A regular water snake only feels like sandpaper rubbing lightly against your skin if you get bit. I know. They dont bother me a bit