Snakes - How Many People Hate?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ace, May 31, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I would like to know just how many people on the Boc hate snakes and the reason why.This is no joke this is not for the snake lovers.Just a simple reply will do . :0a21:

:cat:

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Snakes i lovem ill post some pictures for ya i used to be the proud owner of the largest burmese python inthe northeast never bit me never showed any aggresion towards anyone right now i have a baby copperhead 18in long but very very aggresive i cant come within afoot of him without him snapping at me

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Generally, I don't hate them. I just have a very healthy respect for them...

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    they leave me be and i leave them be. never been hurt by one. bit ya but healed soon enough. and he was spared as well.

5. dataman

dataman New Member

State:
    texas
    I don't have a problem with snakes. They have a place in the ecology like everything else.

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have no problem with snakes. Does give me the creeps when I aint paying attention and run across one. I have step on one at night and jumped 10' up and 20' over. LOL. I dont kill em for the hell of it. Now I will kill poison snakes in my living area/yard and where I be fishing. And on other thread talking bout them on job, ya, I'll shot gun em in a hurry. That is bad news and aint got time to re locate em. Just like any other living creature, stay in their place, no problem, cross my line and no telling what might happen. LOL.

Out in woods, I leave em alone even if I'm at fault and run across one unless I have to kill it. In woods, you cant kill em all so why try. Your trespassing. Its just like if I go to a friends house and dont like his stuff, I stay and suck it up or I leave but if they bring it to my house, their on my dime then. At house, land, I dont want snakes running all over.
    I have caught many kinds of snakes. Me born in S. Texas. I caught many rattle snakes and played with em. They will hurt ya bad so dont do that. get close to home, I'll finish em off. been known to eat em.

I got a Ball python I've had for bout 8 or so years. Only thing I dont like about it is, I got to mess with a rat to feed it. I cant stand a rat. That is the sorriest living critter I know of.
    Our snake, It has bit me one time cause I went too long feeding it and it smelled rat, I moved and it struck. LMAO Blood on my thump like a cat fish bite. I will let it go in yard sometimes and watch it for hours checking stuff out. You would be amazed how well they climb, and checking stuff out.

My wife would shoot me if I ever touched her with a snake. Talk about bad times. Dont mess around with her and snakes. Super women. You'll get hurt. Trust me. LMAO

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Snakes are probably one of the coolest examples of evolution.

8. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    wanna see a grown man scream like a lady toss a snake my way....

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm no snake lover...just like I'm no spider lover.
    I kill all venomous snakes that I come across such as rattlers while living in TX and copperheads here in AR.
    Reason... cause they can bite you and make you very sick.

10. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    When I was a kid - my mom and grandfather would take me for "nature walks" almost every day. We would look for any type of critter and check it out. Snakes, turtles, frogs, lizards. Coolest thing was my grandfather going around to dead tree's and knocking on them like you would a door. Once in awhile a flying squirrel would come flying out and hop from tree to tree.

I learned an appreciation for nature and all it's critters. My grandfather would spot a critter - then make me look for it and find it myself. Took alot for my 4 year old eyes to spot a turtle half buried in the leaves and under a bush - but I've got a heck of an eye for them now.

If I found a venomous snake on my property - I'd catch it and put it in some sort of container and call the local animal police to come pick it up.

You'll find that most people hate snakes because they're afraid of them. Due to bad experiences, lack of knowledge or being taught that way by parents or friends.

11. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i killed two this weekend up at camp when i was working on my feeders one cottonmouth and one black racer(by the way both with a four wheeler)...lol
    snakes yukkkkkk....

12. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I figure if I leave them alone they will leave me alone. 61 yrs, so far so good.

13. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    LMAO,at least you do have arms and legs.And rats and mice make some of the coolest pets.

14. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I don't hate snakes but I do respect them!I look at it like playing with electricity, if you play with it long enough you will get bit !

15. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana

LOL!!!!!!!!!:lol:

16. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I used to handle my pet black racer with a pair of socks on my hands. He was a fiesty guy and would bite me for no reason other then me holding him once in awhile. However - his "teeth" won't even penetrate a sock! It's really just a rigged jaw line used for gripping slimy prey like fish, frogs or salamanders.

Most snakes are like that - can't bite through a sock!

I'd be much more worried about a dog bite(<- graphic!) or even a cat bite.

Anway - does anyone besides me see the irony here? We'll stick our hand in a 50# fish's mouth (who also has a rigged jaw line) that's strong enough to rip your skin up - break or dislocate fingers. But a 1# or less snake who could give you a little scratch like a pricker bush terrifies ya from 20 feet away!

Oh and check out this snake I caught last year. One of the largest, most dangerous snakes in north america. They're found coast to coast, north to south. This particular specimen was a real beast of a snake. Heck I was lucky it didn't tear my hand off. And yes - it's a real snake and that's my hand in the picture!

Warning: This snake has been known to strike fear into the hearts of even experience snake handlers! You may not want to look at the picture if you're nervous about snakes!

Giant Snake Picture

~
    Brian

17. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    THAT THING IS FREAKING HUGE! OH MY GOD!:eek:oooh:

18. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Cant tell from the pic... is that a worm snake or a ground brown?

About "black racers". They are called a black rat snake. I find especially large ones where I go to catch timber rattlers because they EAT THEM.
    So, the black racer you killed if given enough time may have well eatan the "water mocoson" you killed with your four wheeler.

19. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    As long as you take the time to identify the few poisonous one we have, the rest are nothing to worry about. I do have a problem with keeping them for prts. I recently heard two stories on the news where people were killed by their "pet" snakes. One was a snake related to the Bushmaster that killed the EMS that owned him, (without a license) and another that was soficated by his python because he had rabbit scent on him when he opened the cage. These things belong in the wild, not in a cage for our selfish pleasure. You can't OWN a wild animal, you can only restrict it's movement. The Great Spirit owns them!

20. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hate?.......GENOCIDE IS THE WAY TO DEAL WITH THEM! DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM THE ADOLF HITLER OF THE SNAKE KINGDOM!!!!!