Snakes as catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by JMarrs328, Jan 30, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Yesterday, at the river(Susquehanna), My friend and I were watching a water snake, 1-2 feet long. After a couple of minutes there was a large boil and very large flattie was thrashing around on the surface. It sort of knocked the snake out and then came back and ate it. I wouldn't have expected it to be a flattie except for the fact that it happened less than 10 yards in front of me, in a fairly clear pool!

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thats pretty cool ive never seen one hit a snake.But you wont find me trying to put one on a hook lol.

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    My cousins mother in-law bought six ducklings for her farm pond, so she could watch them from the kitchen window. After a month there were only two left. She just figured the dogs or foxes got them. Till one day she was looking at the pond when one got blasted by a big flathead,lots of splashing and squawking then sucked under no more duck. The last one wouldn't go in the water any more so she gave it to a neighbor, (with no flatheads in his pond).

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Interesting Observations!

I have seen Bass hit top-water representations of Snake Soft Plastic(s), but never seen or heard mentioned Flathead Catfish. Been lots of members catch channel catfish on soft plastics Carolina rigged, and bumping slow moving big bladed spinner baits.

I wonder who will be the first to give a Top Water Flatheads Success post? ;)

Of course I meant Soft Plastic Baits, not hooking live Snakes.

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    thats interesting, it would be sweet if you could get then on video. And i have heard of flatheads hitting baby ducks

6. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    We use 1 foot long eels for catfishing, the Wels eat them like spagetti, do any of you use eels for flats? if not its well worth a try.

I also have seen swimming snakes taken by cats, easy pickings.

7. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    if i can find them i will give them a try this year, im game for anything

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Not me!! It's easier and in my opinion much, much safer to catch and use good ole bluegills. LOL Or buy goldfish or big minnows or use cut bait or anything besides snakes!! LOL

9. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I used eels a lot as bait in Va. About 1' long, big around as your finger. The blues liked them. Both of the blues on my profile pic were caught on live eels.

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I am with you on this one Whistler..LOL..but it would make sense as I have seen Flatties come to the top and suck down shad and bluegills right in front of me.

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i to have seen flatheads get shad and bluegill right infront of me, its especially cool in ponds because of how long it takes the water to settle

12. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    i have no desire to use snakes as bait,them thigs are something you see in a zoo not on a hook as bait

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Snakes,eels,coon.possom,rabbit,deer,beef,pork,chicken,turtle,ect.for cut bait.As a kid,we used anything that we could find for cut bait,when bait was scarce.When cats are running,they will bite just about anything.Now,we had no Flatheads in eastern Georgia and South Carolina back then.I once baited a trotline with a 3 foot live Cottenmouth.Hung it in the tail by a log,so it wouldn;t drown.That was one mad snake.I had been baiting the line every evening.I would run it every morning,and find no bait and no fish.I didn;t catch a cat on that live snake,but I started finding fish and,or bait on my trotline after that.I wouldn't do that now.peewee-williams

14. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Know what kind of snake yer messing with! In Missouri most if not all snakes are protected by law. That shouldn't be a problem here til it warms up considerable. They can be found on warm days sunning, but they won't be getting in the water of their own accord for a while yet. Jim

15. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    ill use one if you bait my hook

16. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I think any one would want to use this snake for bait.

Ace :grin-big:

17. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Can you find eels for sale in missouri? If so where? I would love to give them a try.

18. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I don`t think I want to try this one.

Ace:frk-big:

19. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    OMG that has to be the biggest rattle snake I've ever seen! and I've seen some good sized ones.

20. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    yeah its more like we are bait for that snake