Snakes and Catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by H2O Mellon, Apr 4, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    SNAKES

I don't like snakes. Luckily we have very few poisonius ones here in Ohio. There are a few Copperheads & even less (very few & far between)Timberrattlers. I was sitting here reading a post about using them for baoit & wondered who had some good snake stories. I'm assuming you guys down south have ran into your share of them. That is the only reason that I doubt I could move south.

Have you had them come right by you while catting?

Have you ever had any in your home? We have a cabin in Hocking COunty, Ohio. it's out in the boondocks so we have a couple black snakes that get sometimes, but has anyone ever found any rattlers or thigns like that in their house? Even though I am terrified of them, I'd like to hear some stories of them. Do you douthern guuys have to wear those chaps if your out fishing?

2. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i love them and if i ever see one when we're fishing i'll probably catch it and taunt you with it.

just so you know.

hahahah

3. T-man

T-man New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There not so bad MELLON, you dont mess with them, i dont think they will mess with you:eek:

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I've seen cotton mouths more than once on the small creeks in my parts, sometimes hanging on tree limbs to catch the morning sun. They don;t bother anyone unless you try to mess with them

5. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here in Tennessee, they'll try and get in the boat with ya! This has happened on several occasions. So have a ya a "Buford Pusser" stick handy!

6. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    In over 40 years of hunting and fishing in Central Illinois, I have never seen a poisonous snake. And, with the others, I have a live and let live policy with them. I will kill a snake that gets close to my puppies. I don't want them in the boat with me. I have the same policy with spiders but we do have poisonous spiders in Illinois.

7. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Someone say snake :eek: H2O Mellon your not the only one affriad of them ugly things. I remember when was around 7 i was climbing a hill in front of our house and when i almost got to the top i see 2 green snakes coming down may way look like they where after me. I turn around and rolled to the bottom of the hill screaming and hollowing snakes after me. when i landed at t he bottom of the hill i jumped up took all my cloths off still screaming i though them ugly things got in my pants. I DONT LIKE THME UGLY THINGS have i said that already ?

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    give me spiders anyday! i know we really dont have any poisonous snakes in these parts, but i'm still terrified of them! i have about a dozen snake "horror stories" i could tell. i dont know what they are but we have some kind of snake that i see often in a couple of rocky creek areas that is 7-8ft long, and about as big around as my forearm. one year during the summer i almost stepped on one and it chased and lunged at me 3 times (i tripped and fell on second lunge, snake landed between my legs) and i remember it having a yellowish/orange belly. god i hate snakes! DIE SERPENT, DIE YOU EVIL SATAN, DIE!

9. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've seen loads of moccasins in the rivers and lakes. I accidentally found out one night when shining my car lights on the water while setting up my poles, that it will attract quite a few of them. :p I've almost got bit more than once by Diamondbacks hiking and/or walking around, and have seen a couple that were six feet long or so. I have probably seen more than once species of rattlesnake,not just diamondback but didn't stick around long enough to figure out which one. :p Have also stumbled apon Copperheads and Texas Coral.

10. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    Cottonmouths, Diamondback Rattle Snakes, Copperheads, Pygmy Rattlers(Ground Rattlers), Coral Snakes. We have them all. The Cottonmouths will hit the side of the boat trying to get in. It's a real adrenaline shot when you go through the lock and dam and there is a big one coiled up to the tie off point and you see him right before you stick your hand up there! Had a guy last summer got bit by a Diamondback while he was triming out the top of a tree, the kicker is the guy was 60 feet off the ground.:eek: I have had Cottonmouths and Common Water Snakes, which are colored like a juvenile Cottonmouth, chase me up the bank when fishing the rocks below the dam on the Red River. You get use to them and you learn real quick to watch where you put your feet and not to reach into the rocks if you drop something.:p

11. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Down here in SE NC we have to watch out for cottonmouths quite alot. I was going to put out corn for deer one day near a swamp. When I had gotten about 200 yards from my truck where the water line started I went to go around a tree and I heard a hiss. I looked down about 3 feet away was a cottonmouth with his mouth open. I had my waders on but I don't think they would have helped. I slowly backed away and he closed his mouth but kept looking in my direction. I think the only reason he didn't bite me when I came up was becaused he wasn't coiled, but stretched out in the water. The scary thing was when I turned to leave I look and 20 feet away is another cottonmouth coiled up on a tree bout 3 feet above the water. I turned and ran out of that swamp and didn't go back to hunt it until December when the frost came!!

12. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I go out looking for them every chance I get. Every body that has in-laws should have at least one in the house. If you do you will find that the in-laws don’t stay long when they visit……LOL I have had as many as 45 at one time in my house and more in the garage. I had a license to display and sell venomous and non-venomous snakes when I lived in Florida. I have been bitten many times and my many different snakes, even a couple by venomous snakes.

13. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I don't really give them a lot of thought. I don't know if it's a southern thing or not but when you grow up with them you just learn to keep an eye out for them. I've had them fall out of trees in the boat 2 times and that ain't fun. I set down on a pond levee one time and almost set on a little copperhead and that wasn't fun either. My main fishing partner is my older sister and she is deathly afraid of any snake. It takes several minutes for her to get over even seeing one. An ole king snake fell out of a tree one time and started swimming toward the boat with his head getting higher the closer he got and I was trying to scare him away without her seeing it. Well he went through the boat and she almost left the boat too. She almost gets sick when something like that happens. I really hate to see them while we're fishing because I know what it does to her.

ST

14. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    One time, in the early spring, on one of those first 70 degree days, my Uncle came across a small tree that was filled with around 100 snakes getting some sun right by the water. They weren't poisonious our anything, but they scared the he** out of him. He had to walk right by the tree to get to his fishing spot. As he was trying to get around it, he must of hit a couple of branches, because a lot started falling off the tree and scattering. Some even fell right on him. He pick up a decent rock and launched at one and nailed it. Killed it right away. Then, all the sudden, baby snakes started pouring out of the snakes body. He said it looked like another hundred babies came out of the one he killed. That would freak me out. I already have some reoccuring nightmares about huge snakes. I'm not sure why, when I was younger I used to catch them all the time. I stay away now though.

15. T-man

T-man New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All i have seen around were i live is just little garden snakes, nothing major.

Where i go camping and four-wheeling in kentucky you have to watch for copperheads and black snakes. There not my favorite animal in the world but i dont freak out when i see one or anything!

16. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    there is an auto-salvage yard here in dayton that bought a bunch of cars from somewhere in kentucky 4 years ago. well, apparently some of the cars had some timber rattlers that had crawled in them before they were transported up here. two customers in the same week had came to the office of this place complaining that they heard, and seen rattlesnakes! of course they didnt beleive them....until a week after when another customer managed to kill one and bring it to the office! my uncle was there to witness it so i know it wasnt a bunch of BS. needless to say, i refuse to go there if i need a used part!

17. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    if i see a snake ahead of time everything is fine but if he sneakes up on me it's a different story...i was fishing awhile back with my cousin at a farm pond back in a horse pastor..there was an old aluminum boat turned on the bank..well we were fishing i guess for an hour or so and we started hearing this awfull noise..it was muffuled but it sounded like a dying puppy...we were lookin' everywhere for this ( thing ) we were hearing ,then my cousin looks under the boat..he just barely lifts it up then all the sudden he shoots out of there like a bat outa he11 screamming oh my god it's a rattlesnake...oh my god it's a rattlesnake...i start laughing and walk over to look...meanwhile the sound is getting worst.so i give the boat one big heave and flip it over and there is this huge dang snake coiled up with a bullfrog half way down his throat.....luckily for the frog ( i guess you could say that ) his head was sticking out...well when i flipped the boat it scared the snake and the frog launched out of his mouth...now i know only jesus can walk on water but , i am here to tell you froggs can too...i mean to tell ya this frog was across that pond faster than you could imagine....it was the funniest thing i had ever seen...involving a snake that is...lol

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Im more affraid of spiders then snakes but ive had plenty of encounters with them.Me and my grandfather were walking to our fishing hole one day and when we got there my grandfather just about sat on a cottenmouth.I grabbed a stick to move it and it opened his mouth and hissed and me,then actually came after me!That dumb snake must have chased me 30 yards before he stopped!Anyway i look back and my grandfather is laughing his butt off,yeah real friggin funny lol.

19. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    That snake wasn't too dumb, you had the stick but he made you run!

I couldn't resist saying that when the thought hit me. Just struck me as too funny...ROFL!

20. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Give me snakes over spiders any day!

More than once I have been bank fishing at night and had snakes follow the light as we moved up or down the bank. Never tried to bother us any and if we shut out the light a minute or two and turned it back on they were gone.

Now a snake dropping in a boat at night is not funny and can scare the bejesus out of even those that normally are not afraid of snakes.

When it comes to the common black snake its not the bite you need to worry about, its having one wrap your arm so tight it cuts off the circulation. Been there and done both.

Even though snakes swim, if you get wrapped by one and are at or on the water, plunge it into the water so the head goes under and it will instantly let go of you.