Snakeheads on Hooked

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by evilfud, Aug 10, 2009.

1. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Did any of you watch this? Man i can see them really destroying what we all love to do. If you did not see it basically they are reproducing ridiculously fast and preying on anything including human meat. If you catch one kill it and call the DNR.

Fud

2. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    no do you have the link

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I saw a tv program about fishing for snakeheads in south florida an they released all of them they caught. I thought they would want to remove them, not put them back into the water

4. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    no doubt brotha

5. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They look like good bait to me :wink:

6. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
  7. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    seen the tv program lol you better kill cause it can live out of water also and if i kill do thuink dnr will come out :confused2::confused2::confused2:

8. Critter Getter

Critter Getter New Member

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    They are some nasty critters thats for sure. A big thanks goes out to the aquarium trade for yet another invasive specie. Hopefully they don't get as bad as the asian carp :sad2:

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    are they in indiana?

10. kottacat

kottacat New Member

State:
    New Albany indiana
    i saw that show. I havent heard of them in indiana but they were first found in maryland or somethin so they could be on there way. them'r some ugly ol' things. thats the last thing we want to spread around our waters. all these d#$m asian fish!! Seems like they all come from asia.:angry:

11. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    Sorry but you cant really blame the trade for that its the irresponsible people that turn them loose I have had 3 of these snake heads before and the are voracious feeders and have a primitive lung rather than gills. I dealt with a fish shop that dealt in exotic fish and when they would outgrow my 125 gal tank I would trade them back to him although I have put Oscars in a friends pond at his request several years ago. Anyway fish from your aquarium (or live bait unless its native) should never turned into public waters. But on a side note I hear they taste great.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  12. kottacat

kottacat New Member

State:
    New Albany indiana
    i heard they taste good to. one show i saw actually showed a cargo shipment of these things fresh off the boat for for some resteraunt and the darn things were in boxes-STILL ALIVE after coming here from asia!!!:eek:oooh:

13. Critter Getter

Critter Getter New Member

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    Let me clear that up, sorry. Guess i just got on a bit of a rant for a bit, it was late and we had to chase the coondogs all over the county last night. Its not all the aquarium trade, it was people that had them as pets and released them into the wild. The aquarium buisness is the ones that bring these invasive species to the country and they in turn get released. A lot of invasive fish were still initially brought over here that way. The biggest reason they are released is that they become illegal to possess and instead of killing them some people just let them go. I had to spend a couple weeks in one of my classes on invasive species and it seemed that a lot of them were brought over by the aquarium trade. Once again, sorry for the rant

14. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    We have the snakeheads out here on the Lower Potomac below Washington DC. They have been in the river a number of years now. With that said, I do know the largemouth Bass, Catfish, Gar, Shad are all doing well far as size and population. I've heard the stories about the devestation they can do, but I'm just not seeing it.

Personally, I liken the snakeheads to the blues and the Flatheads. There was a time around these parts when it was feared that both would wipe out the rest of the species in the fisheries. So far that hasn't been the case. The bait fish population is plentiful, the bass and trout are also plentiful.

I might be totally wrong, but right now as it stands the snakeheads aren't cleaning out all the other species. You might want to be more worried about the asian carp and overharvesting commercial fishermen, then the snakeheads. But they are good eating if you happen to get one. Definitely a great tasting fish in the skillet.

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Asia...:roll_eyes: lol. yeah- their products AND wildlife sucks!

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah save the catfish eat a snakehead lol.

pip's right. commercial fisherman are the worst predator we have by far....
    Just don't hear anything because they only prey on catfish.

17. kottacat

kottacat New Member

State:
    New Albany indiana
    I definately agree there brother!!:smile2::smile2:

18. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    having traveled to an Asian country, I found the wildlife there fascinating and beautiful.

19. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    one of the programs i watched stated that there main source of import for the snakehead was for asian food services companies and that several of them would release these fish in local ponds and since they have the primitive lung they would migrate to another pond and then another till there where so many that they could not control the population. ive had afew myself in a 180 gallon tank i had and they are some cool a$$ fish but i couldn't imagine that fish in the wild. Back when i had my tank i had about one of every cool a$$ fish in there at one time on another, but my tank got to expensive and had to get rid of it ''regretfully''

20. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah those Asian carp are fascinating, that's for sure... :big_smile:panda bears would be cool. Why can't we get panda bears?