Snakeheads in South Carolina

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by youngcatfisherman55, May 9, 2006.

1. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Anyone caught any of these? I go fishing at McAlpine Creek and the guy I go fishing with caught an 11 pounder. They might be dangerous to the other fish but they sure are fun to catch. Good fighters. They are big most of the time. You cant eat out of that creek anyways. Just wondering if anyone caught any of these.

2. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    an 11 pound what? snake? catfish?

3. youngcatfisherman55

State:
    South Carolina
    it is some new kind of fish brought over from asia called a snakehead. they have a resemblance to a bowfin but have a long anal fin instead of a short one.

4. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
  5. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i would love to see a picture i would doubt it was a snakehead i would think even in your neck of the woods the waters may be to cold they like water in mid eighties but i could be wrong if it was a snake head did you destroy it

6. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I know that north of me in MI or PA one not sure witch they drained lakes that had them in them they also said they could walk to other near by water sources.There where post here on the BOC about it but i had heard about it before that on news.So if there that far north i wouldnt doubt they arent down south people turning aquirium fish lose.

7. chewy

chewy New Member

State:
    Bonneau, South Carolina
    I used to have a couple of red snakeheads in my fish tank. Mean little bastards. They are not scared of anything. I was putting my hand in to clean the tank and they both attacked me and made me bleed. They got a mouthful of needle sharp teeth.

8. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Welcome to the BOC, Matthew. What part of the state is McAlpine Creek located?

9. youngcatfisherman55

State:
    South Carolina
    Thank you. Fort Mill, SC. Looking at the picture, it was very similar to the one that he caught. We did not kill the snakehead because the guy i was going with caught it and said that they were to fun to catch than kill them. I would have killed it because it eats all the vegetation but he decided not to. Besides, you cant eat out of that creek anyways because of all the sewer and stuff in there. We only fish in there because there are alot of big catfish in there.:smile2:

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
  11. youngcatfisherman55

State:
    South Carolina
    im confused. the fish that we caught couldnt be a snakehead because i just saw the picture of that fish we caught and it isnt it. its not a bowfin, a catfish or a snakehead. im gonna try to figure out what it is.

12. youngcatfisherman55

State:
    South Carolina
    scratch that. There are a recorded 28 different types of snakeheads that have been found in the U.S. across the east coast from North Carolina to Washington D.C. Just found that out.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If you really caught the fish you say you caught, then you need to contact the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission immediately.

14. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    yes you should have killed it. they eat alot of live fish and kill off the catfish. just like introducing largemouth bass to a lake that never had them before.

15. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    We caught one of these in the pee dee near florence bank fishing. Didnt know what the hell it was. Thought it might have been some funky species of mudfish, wish id have killed the thing now.

16. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC both Matthew and Tom, hope you enjoy it here

17. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    Welcome to the site, guys. I, myself, am new to the BOC. Just to throw my 2 cents in, I was looking online and came across a site about Snakehead fish in Asia. These things are ferocious. They had some pictures of smaller fish that had been attacked by a Snakehead. One bite and half of the smaller fish was gone. Mean little boogers.

18. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    wow! pretty amazing

19. Weldoman

Weldoman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yikes! I agree the effects of these things on our native waters are unknown, but the effects could be potentially devastating. Soon we could have the first ever tournanment in S.A.S.S. The Snakehead Anglers Sportsmen Society!:roll_eyes:

20. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I hate to hear that as it won't be long befoer they are here in georgia and then there will be trouble.