SNAKEHEAD

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by stangcrazy85, Dec 13, 2009.

1. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    any you guys or gals caught any of these vermin ??
    just saw a hooked eppisode on them curious if we got em in ohio

2. Steph

Steph New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    i heard they were here, but.. I don't know anyone who has caught one yet

3. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    well me either but there is always a chance isint there

4. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    Eventually they will make it here. I haven't seen/caught any yet.

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    Not that I am aware of.

6. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Did A little research after reading your post and came up with these to articles on them. So far I don't believe we have them in Ohio as of yet. But is therorized that they may make thier way up the ohio river eventually from what I've read. Pennsylvania does have them and they have been found in the Schuylkill River. ( Watch out Blacky and Kenlaw you guys maybe catching more than catfish over that way.) Posted are the links I found that may be of some interest...

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/water/fish/snakehead/000index.htm

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.asp?speciesID=2265

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was at miami-whitewater lake fishing for crappie so we got some minnows and there was a snakehead minnow in the mix. I told the 15 year old kid who worked at the bait shop and he responded with "ok". :embarassed:

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I've caught a few out of a lake in a city park here in Philly. These fish in nothing more than an Asian version of a pike. Don't believe that crap you hear on TV about them crawling around to other bodies of water. These fish do adapt to pretty much anykind of environment.

Do you haver them in Ohio? You never know, it just takes one person to release their fish that is getting too big for the aquarium.

9. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky

this fish made the most wanted list like the gobie and the zebra muscle they arent in check in our water systems and could reak havvock on us

10. cat56

cat56 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to have a Snakehead as a pet in college, when they were legal to have as pets. It was awesome to see it feed. It would swallow a goldfish in the blink of an eye. The fish, whose name was Mean Gene, was very agressive. It ultimately knocked the lid of the top of the tank and floped out and I found Gene dead on the floor :sad2:

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i haven't seen any in my area yet but would think they'd make good flatty bait:wink:

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Now THAT, is amazing. I'm 100% sure I would have called the DNR and alerted them to the fact they were being sold as minnows. Then, they could go to the source, the baits shop's bait supplier.

Bill in SC

13. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    my thoughts as well good call i havent seen any but they would make great cut bait for me as does any fish

14. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I did call up to the ranger's station and make sure someone older knew about it but I don't know what they did. I am 90% sure it was a snakehead because when I saw that ugly little minnow with teeth I figured something was not right. So when I got home I looked it up and that is exactly what it looked like. The one I found got killed and left in the boat to dry to a crisp, didn't even want to chance throwing the body in the water. In a tiny lake like that they could cause some serious harm.

15. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    are they not fun to catch?

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've had multiple Snakeheads over the years. The most recent was prob 9 years ago. They are great to have as pets man.

17. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    My brother in Cleveland had two as pets for a while. They are pretty aggresive! They are also pretty good jumpers too. his fish would jump and knock the lid open on tank and end up on the floor. He found them a few times and was able to put them back in the water but eventually both died from jumping out and not being found until too late.

18. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    They are going to end up like the big head carp and spread. They can survive out of water for a while.