Snakehead

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by bodach, Jul 18, 2009.

1. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    I used to have these in my tank till they outlawed them and I got tired of the bill for gold fish traded them back to the guy I got them from anyway has anyone ever caught one?snakehead1.jpgsnakehead2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    No sir. Seen a Sci-Fi movie about them though, haha.

3. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    When they feed they make piranha look like guppies :crazy: mine were only about 18 inches long but would eat 8 to 10 dozen gold fish a week and they have a primitive lung so they can move from one body of water to the next when they run out of food :confused2:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  4. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    I was talking to a natural resource guy about snakeheads. He said they are bad for the ecology, but you can eat them.

He said they should change the name to "tastyfish" so everyone would try to catch them. This was in northern Virginia. I've never seen one, myself.

5. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I sure hope they dont get into our waters. I would of killed it. Dont need any invasive species around here, or anywhere for that point.

6. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Looks more likely to eat you:smile2::smile2: I'm still having problems with fish jumping in my boat so I'm definitely not ready for something that looks like that:eek:oooh: Stay safe and good fishing!!!

7. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    That's for sure Larry...here in the Midwest our big problem are those jumping Asian carp. You better believe if I ever see a snakehead at one of my fishing spots, the DNR will be getting a quick call from me.

8. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    From all I seen an have heard about them I would have given them back to the ground. A very dangerous species to the waters.

9. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    The shop I got mine from had a huge tank 6'w 6'd 6'h with 1 Arrowanna and 1 snakehead both well over 3' long once when I stopped in there I noticed the Arrowanna was gone and asked him what happened to it he said the snakehead bit it in 2:crazy: yes i certainly wouldnt swim with them

10. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    beware fellas, this fish is not native. as a matter of fact there are areas that are being overwhelmed with this ravinous predator. they come from asia, and more than likely released into your fishery to breed. saw a report on the snakehead, and you are right, they can make it from body of water to body of water with ease. these things can breath out of water. they can even "walk" short distances. they have been known to move from one pond to another like this. if you catch another, you could probably get rid of it at an asian market. i know a fella i fish with sometimes thats from Thailand and he's told me that they love this fish back home. it is well know that the first ones in this country were smuggled in by asians hungry for a taste of home. the rest are the result of the reproduction and purposeful movement to establish supply of the snakehead in this country. would you beleave they had a sting opperation and tracked down some of the smugglers. way to go wildlife and fisheries.

11. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Heard of em.. dont know a thing about em though..:eek:oooh::sad2:

12. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
  13. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have read some things about these fish.

The WV DNR says that they have not made to West Virginia yet, right the closes they are is eastern Maryland, down it the costal waters. They can get from pond to pond, but not over the falls it seems. Not yet anyway.

If I ever catch one, I will use it for cut bait.

14. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    there was a program on tv called hooked that they there shown so far they have only been seen in maryland

15. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    The snakehead fish is one i believe we can all agree on, that if caught needs to be killed ,not just thrown up on the bank to die ,heck he will just walk back tothe water

16. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    those things just look straight out evil. :eek:oooh: