Snakehead fish

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by hear_kitty, Jul 19, 2006.

1. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Don't now if this has been posted before have you seen this fish? This fish can live out of water 3-7 days and can walk on land has teeth like a pike and is a serious predator!

Attached Files:

2. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Never seen one of those Don. I would love to catch one though. Thanks for the pics.

3. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i think they're from south america or asia....i remember a while back somebody here got fined a ton for havin one in an aquarium and a few years back they had to put up tons of sandbags around this one pond because some idiot dumped their aquarium full of the things into it and they were tryin to crawl to other ponds......they tear up fish populations more than anything from what i hear

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

never seen one and don't want to I hear they destroy the area that they invade.

5. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    I asked because some moron has introduced them in the great lakes

6. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    From what I have read, they are a very aggresive predator that can dessimate a lake in a very short time.:sad2: Looks like a Bowfin with an attitude.

7. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That fish is a F R E A K:lol: :lol: :lol:

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just like most other things, it's blown WELL out of porportion. I have had several Snakeheads in my life. The largest being aroudn 17 inches. They are a fun fish to have as a pet. It's not the fish's fault, it's the morons introuducing them to foreign waters. They dont do as much damage as their world wide lore makes you think.

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't trust a fish that can walk from pond to pond. Just ain't natural.

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
  11. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    When I first read about them a few years back I had read that farmers were having problems with them because they were eating some of their chickens and other small farm animals..

12. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Guys just alot of storys that are about like a pike ,mukie or walleye They eat bait fish. The only bad thind its that yes they can live for around two days out of water. There is 33 different kind of snakehead fish in the US and they have been here for years. Just that the northern snakehead has started getting bigger in the last 2 or 3 years.

13. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I HAVE CAUGHT ONE! IT SCARED THE HECK OUT OF ME. At McAlpine Creek i have caught 2 snakeheads and my friend has probably caught about 3 or 4. Remeber, there are 33 different species of snakeheads and McAlpine Creek is home to who knows how many of em. Or at least me and my friend have caught 2 differnent species. I didnt know what it was when I brought it in for the first time so I just cut the line and let him off cause he probably would have bit my hand off. They can get very big. My friend while I was fishing with em caught a 10 pounder once.

14. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Here in Michigan dnr says do not release them

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont want to argue w/ you, but I know quite alot about Snakeheads & I doubt that a 10# Snakehead was caught in the states. Are you sure they were not Bowfin or anything?

Below is the IGFA Record Snakehead @ 16#'s. I think it was caught in Bangcock, plus another that is 8#'s.

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
  17. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It could have been a bowfin... It looks more similar to bowfins by anal fins. The next time I catch one I will try my hardest to get a pic up of it and see what you guys think.

18. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Think they need to release a few in Our lake to get ride of the Bass, hense the bass boats and the drivers. hate trying to fish with bass boats cruising at 50 right over my bait :angry:

19. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    That is what they make 4oz sinkers for

20. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi