Snakehead Fish In Lake Wylie

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Ace, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    The two fish reportedly caught from Lake Wylie near Charlotte have been confirmed as northern snakehead fish, a predacious fish from Asia that recently was detected in a Maryland pond. Fisheries biologists from Maryland are now working to eliminate the estimated 100 snakeheads that are the spawn of a pair of adult snakeheads released into the pond two years earlier.This is the lake I fish the most.

Here is the link that I found.:frk-big:

http://www.wildlife.state.nc.us/pg03_fishing/pg3g3.htm
    http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/snakeheads.html

Ace :cat:

N.C.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    what a shame. those two fish had to come from a pet store. what ever happen to the pet gold fish. these people with the wild pets need to think before getting rid of there pets. there was a couple of alligators release in the kannopolis lake a while back. i bet those where pets also until they got too big. look at the everglades with the big snake running loose because they where pets at one time. maybe we need better laws for these pet stores and pet owners.

3. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Seems to me if these fish were just outlawed all together (No Sales) it would help. I doubt any pet store would go out of business because of it. It would be a step in the right direction. Of course there are always those with big $$$$ looking to spend their money on something different.

We( our government) needs to enact laws forbiding possession of this species. This includes ALL states. Step up guys, send a letter, or better yet a partition to your congressmen and tell them what to do before it's too late. They can pass all kinds of lame brain laws for special interests. Sportsmen contribute vast amounts of $$$ to federal,state and local economies. We have a voice, but sometimes we gotta shout to be heard.

4. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ACE , if i catch one of those snakeheads , ill let you know how much you can make out it ............................

5. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ACE i was talking about ( BAIT )...................................

6. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I used to have a 150 aquarium that I had snakeheads in they werent nealy that size of the ones in the pictures on the first post but i would have to feed them 8 and 9 inch goldfish or koi twice a week chopped up and put them in the garden them things arent good for anything but to eat no fish is safe with them if it can get it in its mouth it will eat and eat

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ace are you talking about those two guys that caught two snakeheads on the same trip back in 2002?

The general consensus on that 2002 story is that it is doubtful those fish were actually caught in the lake. According to sources, one of the two men kept an aquarium with various exotic fish.

Let us know if this is a different occurance.

8. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Check out the other link also they are in US waters.
    Pics of what they can do .

Ace :thumbdown

N.C.

9. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Ace bro looks like we are going to have problems with this. I hope the damage to the lake you fish is not to bad but I am afraid that it may be too late.

10. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    unfortunatly they are probaly here.......i read an article, think it was in florida sporsman that 1 tackle store in florida has snakehead fishing contest and there is no shortage of entries.......though you want see florida making the news since there are so many excotics there ...mack

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    that is unfortunate, im sorry to hear that guys. Luckily they havent got to Ohio yet