Snakebit catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by heeler, Jun 3, 2006.

1. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    While bankfishing,I've had fish on a stringer get snakebit.I tried using a basket,but after seeing snakes around it,I got nervous and turned them loose.Any ideas or thoughts?I thought about putting the basket in a gunny sack,but don't know how it would work.thanks

2. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    you can always just shoot the snakes or catch em and use em for bait for flats. well i dont know how to fix your problem but try covering up the bait with a towel or something because nothing seems to be workin good for yea. so just try to put up a barrier too around the bait like rocks or logs. if you want bait to survive then do the extra work!

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Why the concern about snakes being around your fish? Unless your fish are small enough to be swallowed the snakes present no problems. They aren't going to take bites out of them like a turtle.

Eric

4. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    My kids like to eat the fish to.I don't want to take a chance of them eating one that a cottenmouth has gotten hold of.know what I mean?

5. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    What part of Missouri are you from? Cotton mouths have a limited range within the state. Depending on your location, you're probably actually seeing non-venomous water snakes.
    Even if you're in the cotton mouths range you "probably" still wouldn't have to worry about it because they would not bite a fish that was too large to swallow whole & even when they do eat i'm not sure that they would use their venom on fish. Most likely just on small mammals and amphibians.
    Most people don't know this, but venomous snakes do not always inject venom when they bite. Many bites on humans are "dry" bites.
    Hope this helps.

Eric

6. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    Dispite what is commonly heard, cottonmouths are only found in the southeast part of Mo, Mingo has the denses population I have seen, unless you have open sores in your mouth eating a fish bitten by a cottonmouth would do you no harm, as venom is mostly protien, and venom would be broken down some by the heat of cooking. My $.02

7. For the record a water moccasin is a pit viper and their venom is hemotoxic (blood toxin). The venom is perfectly safe to ingest as long as there is no way for it to enter the bloodstream such as an ulcer.
    There used to be a herpetologist at Auburn University that would begin a lecture holding a large Diamondback and would proceed to milk the venom as the lecture progressed. He would conclude the lecture by drinking the venom.
    Of course I wouldn't do this or even argue with a moccasin over a fish. I ain't skeered of snakes generally but when it comes to a moccasin he can have the whole dang river if he wants it.

8. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks for your help.I wasn't going to take any chances,till I found out differnt.I'm from the Sullivan area.thanks again,MIKE.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Dumb question, but how do you know your fish were bitten by a snake?

Water moccasins typically don't strike in the water because they don't have the leverage to make a bite. They also typically don't strike prey they can not follow until the venom takes effect. Moccasins do eat fish, but they primarily feed on amphibians and rodents.

10. RRaider

RRaider Guest

You might be suprised!

Attached Files:

11. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    WOW.where did you find them pictures?Now you see why I am leary of eating them.thanks

12. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    i don't know I've seen cotton mouths eat crappie that looked like they would weigh aronud a pound or so. You could see fang marks on the side of the fish. It took the snake a while to eat the whole fish but he finaly got id down, then he ate 22mag. hollow point.

13. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Awesome pics! the only venomous snake we have here is the rattler, but there are sure a lot them around this year. Never heard of them messing with fish though, thankfully.

14. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I once caught a water snake on a metal safetypin stringer. It had tried to eat my first bluegill of the day. The safetypin got crossways in the snakes mouth, it couldn't swallow or spit up the fish. I tossed a larde rock at it, it moved right under the rock as it hit and broke its neck. I then removed the stringer and tossed the snake to the edge of river. I heard a tremendous splash and the snake was gone. I guess a big flat came and eat it . I now wished I had hooked the snake for bait. My brother in law thought i was crazy for keeping the stringer. this happened about 20 years ago i still have the stringer.

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    A cotton mouth will bite in the water. Just like these photos show, I saw one catch a catfish on the Flint River in Georgia several years ago. They were thrashing around right in front of me. The snake had an 10-12 inch catfish and had bitten it in front of the dorsal fin. After going under for a couple minutes they came back up and the snake now had it behind the dorsal. I shot the snake in the neck and they went down again. After awhile the fish surfaced and was turning blue, red, orange and yellow but was still alive...barely. I'm sure the snake had every intention of eating it.
    I've always heard that venom won't hurt you if swollowed. In the old medicine shows they used to drink it with no ill effects. I wouldn't worry about a snake getting around the fish I caught, however. After all, how many could it eat?

16. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I had the same problem in Louisiana. Had the fish on a stringer and the snakes locked onto them working on swallowing them. I did not keep the fish. Now I put my fish in a ice chest and carry a gun for the snakes. Had three snakes going after the fish, biggest was about four foot long.

17. jholman

jholman New Member

State:
    Columbus Mississippi
    Last year I was picking up a jug bouncing under a bush. I had to lie down on the front of the boat and pull the jug in, when I got it up it had a 2 pound channel with a cottonmouth latched onto the back of it. I didn't notice the snake till it was about half in the boat: threw the whole rig back in the water. The more I thought about it I decided no snake was going to going to get my jug worth about $2.00. I picked it up holding it over the side of the boat and idled along about 1\4 mile before it let go, stopped twice because I thought I had it locked on due to the drag but it just didn't want to let go.

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio

Holy Crap! I am not going to sleep tonight.

19. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Snakes can eat objects that will surprise you, no doubt.
    BTW, those are NOT cottomouths in the pictures.

Eric

20. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I live in cottonmouth country and have never seen one eat any fish around me, I don't think that happens to often.
    I have more trouble with the turtles more than anything going after my fish on a stringer.
    I see alot of cottonmouths when I'm fishin but never any problem with them going after my fish.