Snake River Sturgeon

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by tricitycatter, Jan 4, 2010.

1. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Well today I tried my hand at bank fishing for Sturgeon below Ice Harbor Dam on the Snake River, and as expected didn't catch any. I am very certain I had 1 good bite, rod tip went down 3 times (slowly & little more each time), tugged on it the 3rd time it went down & felt something for a moment & then nothing, bait was gone & the magic string I used to tie it on with was still in the hook. I was told they were masters of taking the picled hearing & leaving just the stuff you tied it on with. Lost 2 rigs in the rocks before I got the right amount of weight on to keep the bait from spinning in the current and on the bottom. The Bardge channel is soo close to the bank it is kinda freaky when they come through, but that is where the Sturgeon hang out & the current is a bit swift. Saw 2 Bald Eagles in the trees along the river just above me, took the camera out & wouldn't you know it the battery was dead, good thing I didn't catch anything. Gonna keep exploring this area further & trying to get a Shaker or a Keeper before the month is out, don't think I could handle a Peeler from the bank, but hey it would be AWESOME to land an oversized fish (keeper is 38"-54" nose to the tail fork). Sucks I only have 2 days I can fish & no boat.

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i would like to try fishing for sturgeon, saw a show on tv where they were doing that, man them things can get huge 7-10 feet maybe bigger.all i have to do is get to washington state :smile2:

3. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Well Stoney if you make it out this way the best place to catch the really bigg ones is down by Portland OR/Vancouver WA below Bonnevile Dam, the second best place is the Snake River in Idaho. Unless you know where to go & what to use for bait the best bet is to pay a guide service. I have been wanting to do that but always seem to spend the $$$ on vehicle repairs or something for the little ones.