Snake River in Idaho

Discussion in 'IDAHO RIVER TALK' started by Blue Duck, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Any one done any good this year on the Snake or Brownlee?

2. RiversOwn

RiversOwn New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    how big are those rivers

3. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    The Snake is a pretty big river. Id guess anywhere from 100 yards wide to a quarter of a mile.

4. Wredech

Wredech New Member

State:
    Wa
    i went to huntington for catfish derby this year. the water level had raised drastically in the 2 weeks before we went. the fish were scattered all over, and the bite was off.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was at the Snake river one time, I didn't fish, just watched a sucker try to jump over it! lol Yes old Evel Knievel :cool2:

6. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It's good to see a post from my neck of the world. I fished the Snake earlier, but not for catfish. I do other species there. It's a great area !

I also do the Salmon river - that's my favorite up yonder.

Where abouts are you in Idaho ? I'm in Utah now.

7. awade208

awade208 New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Hey thought I would drop you a line to say hi. And find out where exactlly you fished the snake.

8. awade208

awade208 New Member

State:
    Idaho
    hELLO EVERYONE JUST ASKING SOME OF THE LOCALS IF ANY OF YOU HAVE BEEN OUT TO THE SNAKE RIVER DOING ANY CATFISHING SINCE THE SNOW FLEW IF SO HOW DID YOU DO?

:cool2::big_smile::crazy::sad2::roll_eyes::smile2:

9. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Its been a couple of years since I fished it but I did good at Steck Park near Weiser. Its a long drive for me so I don't get down there much......

10. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    What kind of cats they got on the snake. if they got flatties i would like to know.

11. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I know they have Channels and Blues. I don't know about Flatheads.

12. idaho23

idaho23 New Member

State:
    idaho
    I fish the Snake River above C.J Strike dam and a few holes below the dam and I have been catching a ton of cats. The last 2 or 3 hours of daylight seem to be the best with shrimp or sonny's super sticky channel catfish dip bait being the ticket. I fish 4 or 5 days a week and catch them every single time. :cool2:

13. thoroughbred

thoroughbred New Member

State:
    ID

im new to idaho and would love some tips and new to catfishing i have been going to snake river in marsing and been getting skunked i live in boise and wondering is CJ far away is it family friendly? since i usually bring the wife and kid for night fishing in marsing its docks and flat and easy for everyone to sit and relax , thx in advance sir and can u use sonny dip with circle hooks? i ave never used dip and have no clue how to use it, thx

14. idaho23

idaho23 New Member

State:
    idaho
    CJ Strike is near mountain home. Take 84 out to mountain home then the first exit which is 90. Follow that road through town towards the airbase. Just before the base you will see a turnoff on your right that says grandview and a CJ Strike sign. Follow that road. You will pass Simco road on your right then a little farther up on your left will be a road called Strike Dam Road. It is a dirt road that is in pretty good shape. There is one good sized hill at the end but just take it slow. I go in a car or minivan all the time. That road will lead you right up to the lake. At the top is a campground with nice spots, but the fishing isn't the best. Follow the road down and cross the bridge over the snake. You can either follow the dirt road around the dam to your left and go to the park, which has good fishing or you can take the straight path up the hill over the dam. At the stop sign take a right and follow that road up the lake, there are places to pull in all along the way and you will reach a marina and resort called Black Sands. Take a left onto the dirt road that runs along the lake it is cove recreaction or cove loop and follow it to the cove recreaction area. It will be on your left and you cannot miss it. There are tons of campgrounds, docs, easy access to the shore, water, bathrooms, etc. I take my kids there all the time. As for your question about sonny's, no it cannot be used on a circle hook it is too soft. Strike king and some others make special hooks for dip bait, they are rubber or plastic tubes with holes and stuff to hold the bait. Walmart in nampa has them.

15. thoroughbred

thoroughbred New Member

State:
    ID
    thx so much i may take a trip out there this week driving to marsing is alittle far so im sure mountain home cant be that much farther i live near micron so it may be faster cause im just jumping on 84 right to mountain home instead of taking 84 to marsing that make sense? thx again sir

16. idaho23

idaho23 New Member

State:
    idaho
    C J is a great place to fish and it has tons of different species and places to go. The cove rec area is a good bet with kids. I usually give my kids a pole with just a hook and a piece of worm with no sinker. Just toss it out midchannel and they will grab it before it hits the bottom. We catch a ton of trout,perch, bluegill, and bass.:wink:

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    are there any big sturgeon where yall fish.

18. idaho23

idaho23 New Member

State:
    idaho
    Heck yeah,
    We got some monster sturgeon round these parts. I fish for them every chance I get. My biggest is a 10 footer that I caught below the dam at Strike.

19. mako cat

mako cat New Member

State:
    San Diego
    Any ideas about catfishing in the Lewiston area? Any dams or sloughs that might be hiding some fish? I'll be up from San Diego visiting my brother later this month. I've heard that the Snake is very under fished, and not just the difficult access areas.

20. RonaldMcDonald

RonaldMcDonald New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I know there is some good fishing around the Parma area. Cut Bait works well there. Another one I have used with some success is Raw Shrimp.