Snake question?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by boswifedeb, May 29, 2008.

1. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Do y'all have much trouble with snakes when fishing, especially at night? I've heard that the light from a fire or lantern can attract snakes, and I've heard some people say just the opposite. Which is right?
    :eek:oooh:
    Deb

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    we fish at night all the time and never have any problems with or with out lanterns or lights

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I used to own a reptile store and breed them years ago, they would rather slither the other way and hide.

4. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    I've never had any snake problems at night.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You've never encountered the copper-headed rattle moccasin, then.

Be afraid, Deb. Very afraid.:wink:

6. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I've never had any problems at night with snakes, but during the daytime - yes. Last year, I left a nice, comfortable, shady little spot to grab some lunch and when I came back there was a cotton mouth under my chair. :crazy: Think I scared him as much as he scared me. He flew into the water and headed away real quick and I picked up my chair and pole and went and sat in the sunshine in another spot. As long as they go their way and let me go mine I don't have a problem. But there have been a couple that met their maker because they wouldn't leave me alone. I never go fishing without a machete!!:big_smile:
    Thanks for all the answers guys, I really appreciate it!
    Deb

7. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    THIS TIME OF YEAR IS THER MATEING TIME THEY ARE A WILD ANMAIL AND THEY ARE GOING TO PROTECT THER SPACE AND A COTTON MOUTH IS NOT AFRAID OF YOU THEY WILL CHARGE YOU I HAD THEM ALMOST GET IN THE BOAT SO YOU NEED TO BE AFREID OF THEM AND THEY ARE THE #2 DEADLESY NEXT TO THE COPPER HEAD HOPE THIS HELPS

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Your right, I never had. Mocs aint got no rattles, and coppers dont either. They both have Neuro Toxin also so no touchy touchy unless qualified. :wink:

9. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    i have had a lot of snakes come to our lights/lantern at night. all of which are water snakes. i have never had a cotton mouth or copperhead come to the light. water snakes are either very aggressive or just curious creatures. that or they are coming to the boat because of the smell of shad. it don't matter what kind of snake it is when its 2:00am and you turn your light on and there is a snake 2ft from your boat. it scares me anyway and i'm not that "snaky"

10. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Snakes are a lot more interesting when they are at least 6' away!!

11. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've seen Cottonmouths be very aggressive. One time I was jon boating thru some flood waters and had one charge the boat. My buddy who was with me at the time (a police officer) almost emptied a clip from his 9mm into him. Darn thing was swerving and curvin and we kept missin him. Finally he sunk after being cut in half.
    Another time I was fishing and saw a Cotton mouth snaking thru the water and for some idiotic reason I threw my bobber baited with a live Minnow about a foot away from him. He went under and a second later so did my bobber. I started reeling and he raised up out of the water about a foot and started swimming fast right toward me. I cut my line right quick and headed for the car. :smile2:
    As for Copperheads, the ones I've come upon always seem to keep to themselves. Once I was headed through a ditch where there was a fallen oak tree laid over. I decide to go under it and when I came up on the other side I looked over my shoulder and there was a Copperhead 6 inches from my face coiled up in a ball about the size of a large grapefruit. I paused and then casually and eased away. He just sat there I went about my business.
    I've never seen any snakes while night fishing but thats not to say they were'nt there, I just probally could'nt see them.

12. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    Gather round kiddies and let me tell you about how i caught the bass in my avatar
    was catfishing one night off the bank, lantern burning chicken liver on one pole and a bluegill on my big pole. saw a snake in the water and decided id shine my flashlight on it to see what it was. so i did it was a cotton mouth and almost as soon as the light hit it it poked its head up out of the water looked at me and came right for me. I made a v line for the truck drove home left everything there. If the flashlight hadnt been in my hand id have left it there.
    came back the next morning to get my stuff and put a small night crawler on my pole to catch another gill for bait and hooked that bass my crank was bent and hitting the bale it was an interesting fight to say the least. So I say yes they are attracted to direct light

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    watch out for them there water mossacins! if you come across a ball of them and they detect human scent, they will all simultaneously attack ya! :smile2:

snakes have more problems from me than i do snakes. poor things can't even swim by without me catching them. i find them very fascinating and have a few as pets, that are all hand fed. we don't have the variety in the tx panhandle that we did in e. texas, but i still catch a bunch every year. they will investigate you at night or in the day if you see them or not. think about it, they are very observant, and jimbo and billy bob have been crappie fishin. they dump out their lethargic oxygen deprived minners into the water before they leave, and mr. snake gets a free meal. they learn that people mean food in a very short time. we used to throw perch to the diamondback water snakes all the time at our fishin hole at the river. before too long, we would have 10 or so waiting for us when we got there. in my experience, water snakes are way more catankerous when handled vs. rattlers, cottonmouths, or copperheads. especially the nerodia types, like the diamondback water snake, blotched water snake, green, northern, etc. also in the summertime of you provide a bit of shade for them, like a boat, chair, or big tackle bag, they will take advantage of it. if they are out cruising the lake and you happen along in your boat, they will just decide to take a break on your boat. they do not swim and crawl around like homicidal maniacs seeking out unwitting human victims as a lot of folks believe!

14. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Yea, i caught one with my hands once while out on my boat, just because i could (he was in a tree out on the lake, and was an easy catch). I think it was yellow and black. Anyway, i was pretty carefull as always (i knew it was poisoness), but when i got home and googled it, and learned it was a copper head, i felt a little ill lol... Not a smart move.
    That Neuro Toxin is bad news

Snakes are always going to be present when fishing. At night, during the day, you always have to keep an eye on your surroundings, and respect mother nature. Respect the fact that you are in there house, and you wont have any problems.

15. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Yes!

My favorite holes were just infested with snakes last year. I could hardly use cut-bait because a snake would be running with my rig within a few minutes and I'd have to get 'em off on the bank. :eek:oooh:

Anyone got some advice on how to stop that? It's really annoying.

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I don't think light attracts them we just happen to see them with the light on. Cotton Mouths are everywhere here and aren't shy at all, very persistent. I have relocated them to what I considered " far away " and the little buggers will come right back. I've never seen them come up to my light and my light is off shore about 8'. They do cruse the shore line and rocks for food non-stop at night.

-Jim-

17. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Yeah, but I'm not so sure light isn't part of the contributing factors. Light draws the insects, insects draw the bait fish, etc., thus providing a ready meal for the snake.

18. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fish from the bank all the time and I see many snakes. Let me just say that I dont like snakes at all. Most of what I see are water snakes of the non-poisonous variety. Every now and then though I will see triangle head. I usually killem. I dont want to share my favorite fishing holes with bad snakes. I usually leave the non- poisonous ones alone. Then I point them out to people who are fishing nearby and then I usually got the spot all to myself.:crazy:

19. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Boy, this question sure got some interesting responses!!:eek:oooh: I generally don't bother them as long as they leave me alone, but if they mess with me somebody's gonna die - and it ain't gonna be me!!!:confused2::smile2:

Thanks for all the info and advice!
    Deb

20. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would have left with dirty and stinky pants. I have had a lot of snakes come to lanters/lights while fishing. Even had snakes try to steal the fish we had on stringers. If you fish at night be mindful of every move you make. Some snake bites can be fatal.