Snake got my net!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catman529, Oct 24, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    This summer I have fished a lot. During one trip I caught about a dozen fish in my net for bait. I hooked one on and left the rest in the net in the water. After fishing for a while I got a new baitfish, hooked it on, and a few minutes later I headed back toward the net. Suddenly I stopped, looked at the net and there was a big 3+ foot long water snake with his mouth attached to a baitfish. Problem was the fish was in the net and the snake was out. At the time I thought it was a cottonmouth, but it was most likely a common water snake (grayish brown w/ irregular bands). I kept my distance as I crossed the creek and went to higher ground. After a few minutes I saw he wasn't there anymore so I cautiously went back and pulled the cord on my net from a distance. The snake had left and I emptied every fish out and never let baitfish sit in the water again.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am sure the snake knew you were a sharing kind of guy.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah i agree , he just seen the opertunity to get a meal :lol: it was good of you to share

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That reminds me of once when mt wife,daughter and I were fishing for bluegill we had about a doz or so real big ones around ten inches plus and my wife says there is a snake on the fishbasket i look and theres three BIGwatersnakes trying to push there way in through the floating lid it took forever to get em to leave and then we did too

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Well you know them ole snakes got to eat to:big_smile_2:

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thats too funny catman. Ya got to get you one of those Plano buckets from wally world, I like the big ones, 2 gal or so. Then drill 50 or 60 holes in the sides with a half inch drill bit,this lets in plenty of fresh water, leaving 3 or 4 inches at the bottom intact to hold water when you pull it up to re-bait. This keeps the turtles and snakes at bay. Tie on about 4 to 6 feet of rope and your set.

7. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    One time i had some bait fish in my livewell. i opened the lid, ran my hand down in there to get a bait and came up with a cotton mouth! scared the crap out of me! he had crawled thru the drain hole and swallowed one of the small baitfish and was then too fat to get out! he was about 1 foot long, still a snake though:lol:

8. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Same thing has happened to be when i forgot to lock the lid in my bait bucket that sits at the water's edge will definately startle you when you are not expecting something like that to happen.

Wheelmobile07

9. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Man oh man, and you guys don't want to fish with a lantern. That is why I use mine. We have Rattlers out hear California, Mojave Greens, and I had one strike my bird dog in the back, and he was stiff by the time I could get over to him. They are much more deadly then a diamond back. the same dog lived after being bit by a Diamond back Rattler, he just had to spend a night at the vets office.
    Catfish slick

10. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    Grab that there paddle and knock some sense in him, tell him those are mine get your own

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had a similar thing happen once while crappie fishing. A big ol' snake managed to thread it's whole body through my live backet and got stuck. Actually had to physically remove it. I don't have a problem with snakes, but that's creepy. Guess that's the price of fishing for snake food sized fish.

12. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    sounds like you were lucky to get the snake to move on. I've seen snakes tangled in nets so bad they had to be cut out.

13. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Was that a fish net ar a soccer net or what?

14. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    I think it was you moms underwear.

15. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    your mom's undies are so big i use them for a drift sock.

16. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    Your moms panties smell so bad, I use them for stink bait. Drives those big cats crazy! I suggest all you BOC brotha's try Kat in the Hats moms stink bait.

17. Buknasty

Buknasty New Member

State:
    Illinois
    snakes are the devil.