Snake Getting Too Close For Comfort

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by river1214rat, Jul 10, 2008.

1. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    This morning I was looking out my window at the River and saw a black and brown snake coming out of a hole in my front yard, close to the house. I like critters, in fact there is a black racer living in my flower garden that watches me when I am outside in the morning! This dude was at least 5 ft long and big around. I ran to get my 22 and he was already gone. Spent most of the day looking for him and tonight I found a toad frog on my steps. Picked the froggie up and carried him to my flower garden, and there he was. THE SNAKE, all stretched out. It was already dark and he looked like he was 20 ft long!! :crazy: I hate to kill him (or her) but he is staying too close to my house. Plus I do not want him getting into my JEEP, as I have the top off of it. He (or her) is too big to pick up and take to the woods. I think it is a rat snake.
    I need advice, what should I do with Mr (or Ms) Snake??? :embarassed:

Linda

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    well linda i hate snakes so i would kill it. mite not be the thing to do but i have been there before. just something about those critters gives me the willies. lol

3. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Tim, I know what you mean. The river keeps coming up and it must be stirring up the snakes. I have seen more this summer than I have since I have lived here. i don't even want to walk outside! That being said, the SNAKE is going to DIE, tomorrow! :angry:

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Moth balls scattered around is suppose to keep em at bay. Farmers exchange or tractor supply sells stuff that is claimed to work. If they ain't poisonous, i don't mess with em myself. They won't hurt ya but may make ya hurt yourself.:smile2:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I HATE snakes, so my vote is too kill it. I live in the hills of southern Ohio (my family lives there), we get a couple of big snakes in our house every year. They go to the basement where it is cooler than outside. We kill them, but each year new ones take their place. Kind of strange.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    If it is a rat snake I would just run it off. One of the most valuble snakes around for catching critters.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Well, from the sound of it your really not scared of snakes , just unsure what it is and what they will do to you. I've been raising snakes since I was a youngin and I will assure you if its a rat snake its a great snake to have around. In fact, the racer you have hanging around is 10x more like to rush you. Neither one will hurt you but might startle you for a minute.

I don't believe in killing a critter just because your scared of it... I gotta name for folks like that but I guess I wont say it here and now. Now , lets face it, a poisonous snake is a different story. Some kinds will actually chase you, and defend their young. I have removed such snakes but soon realize that they will come back.

I say find out what it is and educate yourself. If you have snakes you have food around.....this means rats, mice or even birds. I would rather see a fat happy snake sunning himself in the morning than seeing mouse poop in my house, LOL.

Here is a pic of my youngin, reptiles here very common....and there aint nuttin to be scared of ; )

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff114/jimmyjonny/100_1377.jpg

-Jim-

8. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    I like the 24 hr rule; fear yesterday, thought about it last night, today I think I can share my land with him ( or her). At least I know he (or she) is here and where he (or she) travels. We have river rats and Mr Snakey can help me with them! :tounge_out:

linda

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i never kill a snake. they are just as afriad of you as you of them. use a rake or long pole and shoo him off or walk him aways away. or put him in a plastic barrel with a snap on lid. drive him a mile or two away and dupm him out.

i was fishing for bluegills the other day. one swam up right toward my feet. i used the rod tip to push him off to the side a bit. he sat there a min and just watched me. i caught a small green sunfish 4-5" long and was releasing it and dropped him as he flopped. the snake grabbed it like it was a $100 bill. and within 8-10 min had swollowed it head first. and swam off into the moss. i made a friend. the one time i had my camera but left the digital card at home.

if you dont really want to kill it please dont. if you keep yourself 3-4 feet from the head he wont even bite you. wish i was your neighbor. ide just pick him up and relocate him for ya.

im the local steve (crocodile hunter) irwin here. ive removed 3 bats for my neighbors. one just a couple weeks ago. again. with a net unharmed. a bat will eat up to 600 mosquitos an hr. so there my night time guardians here.:wink:

if ya dont like rats and mice. that old spooky snake is yours too.:smile2:

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    By all means, let it LIVE! Rat snakes are very efficient catching mice and rats, and are certainly completely harmless to man. If you just can't deal with it living so close, they are easy to catch and relocate.
    Bill in SC

11. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks,
    If it is a bad id get rid of it if its a black racer id let it live. It kills the bad snakes!

12. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Send him to Python John or postbeetle, they'll let him live on their places!!:smile2:

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    SO WOULD I.:cool2::wink:

14. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Mr. Snakey came here for a reason, maybe the river rats are multiplying again, so he can just stay and eat away!! Tomorrow, I need to cut my grass and I am also going to clean up some weeds that have grown by the fence line to prevent all of his friends from joining our commune. I may not have conveyed (is this a word) this, but I am a critter person. I did not expect him and actually he scared the **** out of me!! :eek:oooh:

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Dont kill em. I forgot where it was a few years back folks were killing all the snakes and they had a rat population explosion and some died from Hantavirus from there droppings. This is why ya manage nature not destroy it.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Any snakes around here are generally left alone,Rattlers are the exception, I kill them on site,cant have the wife an kid getting bit. the non poisones ones we just deal with.

17. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I still say get rid of it.................you can interpret that however

18. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I think that was a good choice as long as it ain't poisonous why kill it

19. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I believe that happened in the San Jaquin valley in Southern Ca near Bakersfield I think, I dont remember when.

20. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeremy, Your post reminded me of an old story bout a fellow who caught a nice bass...... when he got it in there was a big snake trying to eat it. Well, he thought how much fun it would be to catch that snake and pour a good slug of his white lightening down its throat & so he did & went back to fishing. About 20 minutes later there was that snake again at his feet, this time it had an 8# bass by the tail.