Snake Bite

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ace, May 10, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
  2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    OKAY!!!! You have me conveinced to not get snake bitten. That was some ugly looking stuff. Wouldn't even want to give that to all the illegals.

3. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    That is the main reason I say a good snake is a dead snake.

4. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Well, I love snakes.
    The non poisen ones.

That was a pretty intense web site.
    Can't imagine....

5. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I am going to use that article and pictures in safety breifs at work.

Thanks
    chris

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    That looks horrible. We have tons of cottonmouths around here. I definitely do not want to get bit by one.

7. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
  8. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    me personally, i have never been bitten. i have seen friends bitten while handling snakes, non-poisionous, while I was growing up. green snake, garder snake. nothing like that before. i hate snakes.

9. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    That was a very bad bite. None of mine were ever that bad, makes me wounder if he had a reaction to the Venom?

10. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Not looking to start anything, but there are NO cotton mouths in Macomb.
    You're way too far north. You wont start seeing them until you get down closer to the Carbondale area. Any water snakes you see around Macomb are just that harmless water snakes. :big_smile:

Eric

11. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    As Gator said, that is NOT a typical bite scenario. Many venomous snake bites are what's refereed to as a "dry" bite. No venom is injected.
    That individual may have had an allergic reaction to either the venom or the anti-venin, a large percentage (50% or so I believe) of people have reactions to the anti-venin. This happened to a friend of mine. The bite wasn't that big of a deal, but the treatment nearly killed him. He went into anafilactic(spelling) shock.

It is also possible that this person either waited too long to seek treatment or tried to treat it themselves. NEVER treat a snakebite. Seek immediate medical attention. Many people have cause greater problems and even death by cutting arteries etc when trying to self medicate.
    It sure would suck to die cutting an artery, especially if the snake that bit you was non-venomous... and MOST are!

That all being said, I have never been bitten by a venomous snake (close calls catching them though) but I have been bitten many times by non-venomous snakes. NO big deal! :cool2:

Eric

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ernest,
    Those are great pictures for people to see that are going to be in rattlesnake country. Some folks don't realize the danger of these snakes.

One night one of the employees where I worked was bitten by a small rattler. Safety called me and said they had taken him to ER. When I got there he was on a examination table... he saw me and the first thing he said, "Sir, I wasn't playing with that snake!" I later found out he was trying to pick it up when it bite him. He spent 12 days in the hospital, lost three weeks work.

I had a friend that caught and handle snakes at the local Rattlesnake Roundups for years. But this time he was at home, had taken this very large diamondback out of the freezer.. he was planning on skinning it, he thought it was dead... it bit him and later his arm look almost as bad as one of the pictures. He almost lost his arm... today, he has an ugly scar all the way up his arm and I assure you he doesn't mess with rattlesnakes!

13. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I've never been bitten by any snake, I am lucky I guess. Where I live there are Timber rattlers and Daimond backs plus Copperheads. I have several skins of Rattlers that came from my front yard usually run out by the lawn mower, I would hate to be bitten by one of these snakes not only because of the venom and being sick, but Those fangs look as though that would be extremely painful. When I skin one out the head is the first thing to go before i do anything. I have read of folks in Texas running over Rattlers then getting a flat, when they run thier hand over the tire looking for the object the fang gets them and they get sick. I feel for this young boy thats alot to go thru. Mac

14. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    he mustve had a heck of alot of swelling. they had to open him up pretty good to keep the bloodflow from being cutoff.

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you got that right! i dont think i will ever get bitten by a snake, i am so paranoid about them when im in a creek or out somewhere that i usually spot them before they spot me lol. even if i see a 1ft long snake i'm outa there in a big hurry! there have been a couple times i was lunge'd at by a snake, one i think was a copperhead. it was then that i learned that man can not just walk, but run on water!:big_smile: DIE DIE DIE EVIL SERPENT!!!!!!

16. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have only been biten by the non-poisonious ones and have learned not to piss off the mean ones. That was definately a worst case scenario.

17. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    LOL, i've heard that too, but I assure you it's a wives tale. Snake fangs will not penetrate a tire. :lol:
    Other good wives tales concerning snakes are:
    1) Racers chasing people. They don't. They are very fast and very well may "flee" from you in the same direction your going, but they aren't chasing you.
    2) Whip snakes do not whip you
    3) Baby venomous snakes can't hurt you. Actually, they can be worse than the adults because they have the same venom (just less of it) and are more nervous due to their size and age & they do not have control over their venom glands like an adult & will likely drop their entire load into you.
    4) Milk snakes do not suck milk from cows.
    5) etc etc etc.

Eric

18. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I got bitten by one once, the thing died right away. Guess I am tougher then most. :hell_boy:

19. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    A Dead rattlesnake is the only one you will see me close too

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    daggone tea,you are tough!!!