Snags!!!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CBH, Jul 19, 2006.

1. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    If anyone has any tips on how to fish the bottom and NOT to get snagged up, I'd love to hear them! I found a really good place on the river that has several fish and a ton of cover on an uneven bottom, but I get a snag nearly every time I throw out a line. The fish and the cover are scattered in about 20' to 25' of water. I've been using 5 oz. no role sinkers and kahle hooks on the bottom. The current and location may make bobber fishing impossible.

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    You might try a paternoster rig It is tied kind of like a 3-way rig with the sinker tied with light line so it can break and you won't lose your whole rig. You hook is tied 1-6 feet above the sinker. Then a float is used to keep the rig in an upright position.

I have also heard of a brush rig where your line is attached (clothespin, etc.) to some cover. You weight and bait will be held in place directly below. Kind of like a rod and reel limbline.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

use flexable lead are pencil shaped lead above a barrel swivel and about an 12-16 leader. about halfway down the leader add toothpick bobber, the small bobbers with a toothpick stop through them. with this rig the smaller diameter lead shouldn't get hung-up as much and the small bobber will help keep you bait and hook off of the bottom also helping with snags.

4. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Benji's telling it straight. I use that kind of rig only I take a pair of pliers and squish the top of the lead about 1/4in flat. Poke a hole in the flattened part to hook your line (6lb.) That way the lead is usually all you loose. I've got a round cork bobber I use on my bait line, made with a plastic pin already stuck in it. Works pretty good.
    Don

5. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We use the same kind of rig in our local rivers where there is alot of current and snags. We loose quite a few sinkers but we make our own and have plenty on hand. I'm not sure what these folks mean by 'no roll' sinkers. I'm assuming that they are the pyramid sinkers we use. I started using them in North Carolina off of piers in the ocean. I used the same knid of rig there to only it wasn't necessary to use a light line from the swivel to the sinker.

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I have heard that the 'flat spoon' or 'no snag' (same thing) sinkers help stop you from getting snagged. Supposedly they catch water really well and will lift your rig off the bottom when you begin reeling, and are low profile/flat too so they act like a no-roll. Maybe couple this with laidbck11's idea and you might have a really nice setup. And there is no way to completely eliminate getting snagged while on bottom besides not fishing alltogether LOL I hope this helps.

7. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    We use this rig almost exclusively when we drift fish and it takes a really bad area to hang up.

Some things to think about that we've learned if your drift fishing. Make sure your bubble is big enough to keep your bait off the bottom while moving but not so big to pull your weight off the bottom. Unless that is what your wanting to do. When you start to move if you bubble isnt big enough your bait will dive down to the bottom. And if your bubble is too big compared to your weight it will make your weight lift off the bottom. This only really matters when moving.

8. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Another option that might work would be with a slip float. Although with current it might not work, I dont get to fish in current so im not real experienced with it. You would put your float stop say 25 foot up the line. Place your bobber below it then a split swivel. From the swivel youll have your hook and then a foot or 2 lower your weight.
    {} = bobber
    | = line
    <> = split swivel
    J = hook

{}
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    <>-------J
    |
    |
    |
    |
    O

Thw weight would sit on the bottom, the hook would stay off the bottom. But the current might catch too much current and move.

9. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Thanks for the tips guys!! :smile2: I'll give all of them a try!