Snags....what to do?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by f155mph, Aug 11, 2009.

1. f155mph

f155mph New Member

State:
    Ohio
    So what do you guys do when you hit a snag? I lost two rigs last night fishing on the bank. The hooks probably got stuck on a stump or something. I have PP 65lbs line on one the rod and the line just snapped after a while. Is there something I can do to get a hook unstuck?

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I stock up on hooks and lead during the winter.If your in a good cat spot,you,re gonna leave a lot of both of them on the bottom.:wink:

3. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    If you want to fish an area with stump snags off the shore, I'd recommend using a lighter leader than your main line. Put a swivel on your main line and attach a short leader ( 6 inches or so) to the swivel. Attach your weight to the short leader. Thus if you snag the weight or the hook you will not break your mail line losing your whole rig; either the hook or the sinker, not both, and no valuable line. Just my $.02.

4. Brianh

Brianh Member

State:
    Illinois

Good post! I've come to the conclusion that snags are part of the deal so make the best of it. Use a much lighter leader for the weight and a slightly lighter leader for your hook. With any luck you will only lose one or at very least, still have a swivel attached to the main line. Take a few rigs with you and you will save a bit of time and frustration.

5. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fish sometimes on shell rock .. you hang up 99% of the time ...

take a 10lb test line tie it to your MAIN line .... then tie it to the sinker when the fish bites the hook he brakes the snaged sinker line and its game on!

It works no joke.:wink:

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    One of 2 things, loosen the drag and try to work it out.. or tighten and try to pop it. Hope this helps!:wink:

7. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Double post sorry!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  8. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I have found that a lot of times it's the sinker that gets snagged and leads to break-offs, so you might try to change the type of sinker that you use, I have found that bank sinkers work well as do the "flat spoon type sinkers described in this link to the member libary:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38856

Also member Jim Meyer describes a mold for making pyramid sinkers with the eyelet on the point of the sinker instead of the flat surface of the sinker. The description for that sinker in here:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38864

I know that hooks do get snagged but I have used a three way rig many times and it is the sinker that I loose most ofter when working cover.

9. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    My hang ups went down when I switched from eggs sinkers to slinky weights. You might also want to try using a cork and have your hooks a foot or two from the bottom. Your baits moving around is not necessarily a bad thing, look how many people drift fish and how productive it can be.

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    If it is the hook that is getting hung you can try two things. One, is don't yank on it too hard at first. I've stopped, relaxed and reel in slow or pop the rod, just don't sink the hook in worse at first.

If it is still hung up, don't yank the line hard. Try pulling back slow and steady. Depending on what hook you use, you can bend a hook out straight some and it will come out. This depends on the hook size but heavy braid will bend a thick hook.

If all the above don't work, use a leather glove, wrap it around the line once and pull fast...it will snap.

11. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    My reply will be in another thread called use LESS weight.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    get a stick or a glove to pull with dont use the rod cause like you found out you will break it. if you use a mono leader like what was suggested a steady pull will stretch the mono to the breaking point, if just useing braid a quick jerk like suggested will snap the braid.

13. f155mph

f155mph New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thank you all for the help and suggestions!

14. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa

You started a thread because you got snagged, only twice? I think it costs me about 50 sinkers to catch a decent fish. Comedy on the BOC