snaggy bottoms?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by catmanjake, Jun 2, 2008.

1. catmanjake

catmanjake New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    my dad went catting with some friends and his girlfriend yesterday about an hours drive from here on the sauk river. they managed 6 keeper cats, many red horse and some large 17+ lb carp! and better yet we are planning to go down on saturday if weather permits! couple downsides though;

1 mosquitos are really bad,
    2 ALOT of burning weed
    3 ALOT OF SNAGS!

how can you fish snaggy woody bottoms effectively. rigs, baits, setup, line, etc..

thanks in advance.
    Jake Didier

2. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    you could try using a slinky type sinker or some other kind of snagless shape or you could use a 3 way rig with a lighter weight dropper line so only your sinker breaks off and not the rest. maber put a small float just above your hook to hold it off the bottom some. dont use sinkers that roll like egg sinkers or bullet sinkers. and reel in fast so your line rig doesnt drag over bottom and snag.

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    . maber put a small float just above your hook to hold it off the bottom some.
    this is what i use a float next to my hook

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Try using a 3-way rig with the sinker leader on lightweight mono, this will ensure that you only lose the sinker on a snag. For extra protection, put a small cork float just above the hook.

5. catmanjake

catmanjake New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    thanks guys I'll do that

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    wear pants, use deet spray as well! i still use a carolina rig in snags, but i will shorten my leadrer. i pour my own weights because i know i am going to lose lead while fishing.

7. williambevels

williambevels New Member

State:
    alabama
    all good advise
    for the insects use skin so soft.you might smell sweet but the bugs don't bit. learned this when i lived in bug heaven (fla) even the nats and no see ims want bite.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    catmanjake,

How's the fishing going, had any better success?