Snagging

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Catfish_Calvin, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Has anyone been having any luck snagging under the keokuk dam. or any other places around the area?

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Too cold fer me and I am worse than a newbor thats hungry about it(BOO HOO ITS COLD):embarassed:Its good water below though.Ramps are good....

3. jbaxter

jbaxter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm with you there!! I barely want to go out and start the jeep in the morning :tounge_out:

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    come on boys, spring is right around the corner, then you'll compain it's to hot. LOL Later Andy

5. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I can handle the cold. I bowhunt. Thats about as cold as it gets. When your snagging your constantly moving so you dont even think about the cold. If its over 30 degrees when your snagging your gonna be comfortable! Were going to make a trip down there this weekend. Most likely saturday. I was hoping to hear a report to see how people were doing down there because i have a few guys coming down from Des Moines. But sporticus said he seen some guys down there last weekend with some nice size spoonbill so that gives me all the reason to give them the command to head this way!!!!

6. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    the cold is in your head ive been siting on a five gallon bucket on a frozen lake in the blowing wind trying to catch a winter cat some days are better then others how many hooks do you use when you snag

7. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I use 2 big treble hooks with a 6 ounce weight at the bottom. Most people use 2 hooks.

I also did the 5 gallon bucket trick a few times this winter. Didnt have much luck with catfish but caught a few bluegill. Heres a picture. 3 hours worth. icefishing2.jpg :big_smile:

8. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    well done on the bluegill, should make half a meal... nah just kiddin, I love the gills

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Any of you all make it this way p/m me and 1sporticus so we might be able to meet you befor you head out,I'll pm my #....I missed Catmatt and crew cause circumstances were beyond my control but will cath up with him befor summer is out.If I could take the cold I'd be out there but I cant do it so well........ I am a dedicated fair weather fisher

10. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Holy cow! That is a big pile of Bluegills!

11. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Me and my buddy drilled 2 holes. Fished for 3 hours. Ended up with 252 gills. We would of caught more but we ran out of wax worms. We fried them up and ate them during the Daytona 500. Had a good time!

12. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Not to sound intrusive, but is there a limit on catching sunfish in Iowa? In Minnesota it is 30 per person I believe. Just wondering because 252 is a lot 'o Sunnies.

13. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    It was on a private pond. The guy told me to never release any bluegill in that pond because theres too many in there. There was several times during the summer id bring people out and we would catch 100-150 in half a day. Seems like it never ends.

Ok back to the topic. Has anyone been fishing under the keokuk dam this month? Walleye, Spoonbill, Catfish?

14. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    That's crazy! There must be a million of those suckers in there. Enjoy!

15. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    "We would of caught more but we ran out of wax worms. We fried them up and ate them during the Daytona 500."

I'm guessing you fried up the gills not the wax worms? :smile2:

16. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I need that pond to break my two little ones in on the fishin-you know how short attention spans are with lill ones:wink:

17. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Only bad part is its south Macomb, Illinois. Takes an hour and 15 minutes to get there from where i live. Its actually close to a town named Fandon but not many people have heard of it. More amish than anything.

And yes we fried the gills not the waxies! I prefer eating the waxies uncooked!!!

18. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Well a guy i know from des moines and 2 other friends are going snagging saturday and\or sunday under the keokuk dam. First time on the water this year im pumped. My buddy from des moines fishes walleye tournaments and hes bringing down his boat. Its a nice one. typ250's boat.jpg

We might do a little walleye fishing also. If anyone can give me a report on how the fishing is under the dam it would be greatly appreciated!!! Im hoping he doesnt drive all the way down here and we get skunked. Id feel pretty bad.:sad2:

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    geeze thats a mess of gillies. wow. :crazy: