Snagging

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by ravenloft420, Aug 2, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I heard something about a second snagging season. is this true? and if it is ,when does it start?
    Iv only caught 1 catfish this year and I got a yearnin to duke it out with some more 30 lb bighead and silver carp.

2. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    DURING GIGGING SEASON YOU CAN SNAGG NONGAME FISH. GIGGING SEASON STARTS I BELIEVE SOMETIME IN SEPTEMBER . YA I LIKE TO SNAGG THEM ASIAN MYSELF I ALWAYS SEEM TO HAVE BETTER LUCK DURING THE FALL SEASON . THE ASIANS SEEM TO SCHOOL BETTER WHEN THE WATER STARTS COOLING DOWN AT LEAST THEY DO WERE I FISH. GOOD LUCK:smile2:

3. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    yes sir you are right. I had a sweet snaggin spot and as soon as the water started warmin up they werent as grouped as they were when it was cold. Im talkin at least a 15 lber every 2-3 casts

weres ya out but man is it fun!!!

4. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I am really excited to go snagging this fall for some bigheads on the Mississippi. This spring was the first time I snagged at Chain of Rocks on the Mississippi and had a blast hooking a bunch of those asian carp.

I haven't done to well on catching nice catfish this year either so I am ready to tangle with some tackle busting asians myself. :big_smile:

The fall snagging season runs from September 15 - December 15.

5. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    ya this spring was my first time snagging and I think I kinda spoiled myself on all the big fish. is the chain of rocks as good a fishin as I hear? used to party there when I was younger but never went fishin there.

that reminds me of a story............well, maybe another time lol

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    From what you have said, the asian carp snagging is better up at the Alton Dam. I did snag four little bitty spoonbill down at Chain of Rocks one cold day, but I would have rather caught some big asian carp.

One guy snagged about a 40 pound flathead the first time I went snagging down there. I'd love to hook one like that on the rod and reel. :big_smile:

7. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If ya dont mind the travel just below Rathbun dam say about 300-500 yards the asians are schooled up where a guy could walk across them. Seen a guy shoot one with a bow and 2 hours later he was still fighting it!! We have seen them up to 3 feet!! Just a little info on Iowa's jewel Rathbun dam. Plenty of camping around lake.:roll_eyes:

8. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I actually found a place near the alton bridge where they really stack up. another thing about snaggin is you never know what your gonna hook into.:big_smile:

early this spring we were snagging one night and my buddy pulled up some skeletal remains:crazy:, and my first thought was man I should have just stayed at home. well we pulled it up and got the flashlights and stuff on it and realized it was just a peice of an enormous carp lol.

9. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    What's the biggest asian you pulled out of the river Ravenloft?

10. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    30 lbs but I know they get bigger

11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    We'll have to meet up and put a hurtin on some carp this fall. I need to fix some guides and the eyelet on my favorite snagging rod so I can use it this fall. It's a 12' extra heavy action surf rod and I need a size 18.0 rod tip, but am having a hard time finding one that big. :embarassed:

12. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Have you tried shop.mudhole.com, i have found some of the bigger eyes and tips from them. also fuji may have some but I'm not sure if they will sell just one of them I think you have to order several from them?..

13. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I'll be sure and check it out. One of the chiropractors here in town got me into rod building a few years ago, I might just go talk to him about because I know he builds some heavy rods for halibut and other snaggers around here.