Snagging

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by kansas_catman_16, Jan 29, 2010.

1. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    hey guys its getting close to snagging season i was wondering anyone know where i can get some big trebles and bank sinkers in bulk here n wichita like 10 or 12 in a pack. any help will be appreciated :pray:

2. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    You can get them from ebay. Pretty good prices for them. The last ones I looked at were 10/0 and pack of 36 for $23. I think it was free shipping but am not sure.

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i assume your talking about spoonbill?

4. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    yes im talking about spoonbill getting ready for the season

5. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    im not sure myself but hit up welder(troy) he knows some places.

6. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    we used to buy ours from cabelas. the mustad trebles that were about 5 in. tall in a 3 pack. they're kinda pricey.

7. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Me and a couple buddies pour all our own sinkers, 3-5 ounce is all we use, and used to get hooks from Zeiners in bulk. I'm not sure if they are still as cheap as they used to be. We ran out of hooks in Chetopa last year and ended up buying a bunch real cheap from the gas station right there west of the bridge the river runs under. Also bought some fairly cheap at a little bait store on on Kaw Lake when we were snagging down there. Where you planning on going? Also another place down on Grand Lake open for snagging that's got some cheap tackle. Don't remember the name of it and I couldn't tell you how to get there, but it's there heh.

8. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    They opened the Neosho at Iola this year and theres always lots of spoonbills there.Westside bait on 54 hiway on west side of town has all the tackle you would need.

9. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    im planning on heading to chetopa or miami,OK or since now i know about the other spot on the neosho that ray was tlaking about might head there not to sure yet. still some planning to do

10. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    If you have a bass pro near you i get them there 10/0 $9.99 for 32 of them...Weights i pour my own..But ebay and catfish nation have cheap sinkers

11. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Don't forget you can jet down south from wichita there and snag the spillway at Kaw Lake for spoonbills too. I've heard of guys pulling some nice 'bills out of there, I never had any luck the one time I tried but something to keep in mind. I'm definately looking forward to 'bill season. Last year was my first year and I'm addicted now. :arghh:

12. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Oh, by the way..I'm sure you already know but figured I'd throw it out there anyway..if you decide to go to Oklahoma snagging be sure to file the barbs off your hooks. They are pretty particular about barbless hooks down there. Almost got in trouble for it last year my first trip down to Miami, my fault I didn't check the laws better, and the game warden let us off with a warning. If I remember right he said they'll take a cotton ball and wipe it across your hook, if any of the cotton hangs up on it it's considered barbed and you get a ticket. It's a pretty easy fix, pair of dikes and a file and you're good to go. Have fun.

13. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    hmmm im going to keep that in mind i should head down there how much is a licsense in oklahoma if ur a non-resident i know the snagging tags are free tho

14. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I wanna say we were buying non resident 5 day licenses for like 15 bucks or something like that. You gotta tell them you want a snagging number though, and every bill you land you gotta tag with that number. We wrapped duct tape around the snout and wrote the number on there with a sharpy. I think the limit is 3 bills a day but you might wanna double check. Word has it they changed the laws this year too so be sure to read everything. I'm sure the regs are posted on the Oklahoma website so no worries on finding out.

15. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    OK laws changed BIG time and they are weird.
    Make sure you know them, thats your responsiblity. They will screw you if you dont, BIG time.

16. catfisherman04

catfisherman04 Well-Known Member

State:
    Derby Ks
    For NR anglers its 23.50 for a 5 day and 42.00 for annual you would be better of gettin the annual license im pretty sur you have to have a tag for paddle fish too but it didnt show a price. Last year I seen a couple guys snagging at the kaw dam in oklahoma they snagged a small one