Snagging

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by NE_Arki, Jun 2, 2009.

1. NE_Arki

NE_Arki New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    While catfishing yesterday below a lock I found a snagging hook, So thought might as well try it. Low and behold hooked 3 one a 30lb asain carp some thing that pulled alot more than he did and a 15lb or so common carp. Now I have looked all over the net for a forum or information but can not find any. So anyone snag on here, if so any tips for a begginer? I figured this would be the best spot for information related to the area I live.

2. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Im not much of a fan of snaggin, somethin about rippin the side out of a fish just dont appeal to me. but, there aint nothin to it, Long pole, sinker on bottom usually a bank sinker, then a foot or so up put that big hook on. Throw it out, give it time to sink a bit and ripp it. let sink rip again.

3. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    snaggin is sort of like spot lighting deer it puts meat on the table but there aint much sport in it

4. ShotgunBill

ShotgunBill New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When it gets warm its time to stop snagging and start drifting for blue and channels. But you can get bait quick during snagging season.

5. NE_Arki

NE_Arki New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Well tried it a few more times, its fun when the cats arnt hitting much. The only thing we have snagged is asain carp some good size ones too. If we were snaggin game fish or native fish I wouldnt be doing it but since these need to be gotten rid of I see no harm in it. I dont think Ill be buying any more hooks after I loose these though just not worth it.

6. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I do agree with that, snag all that asian invasion you want. Those dudes are somethin when they hit yer boat or land in the boat. I hear some folks are using them for bait. Coach and I had a hand at it one day, he would goose the boat and I waited witha net to grab em. Never did get one LOL I see on the internet they shotgunnin em like skeet. :smile2: Pull :eek:oooh:

7. big pappa

big pappa New Member

State:
    perry, Ark
    i love it when the water is to big to bait fish, i have caught a limit in 10 throws a bunch of times, but it is alot of work if there not stacked up,, but i would rather bait fish!!

8. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Spoken like a true Arky.:big_smile: Coach will like you! According to him, we aint nothin but "baitfishermen" Just ask him :roll_eyes:

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    true words mac but ya gotta remember coach will say bout any thing.

10. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I HAVE NEVER TRIED IT.I THINK ITS ILLEGAL HERE IN TEXAS.