Snagging

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by idamaster, Apr 1, 2009.

1. idamaster

idamaster New Member

State:
    LA
    I saw some guys snagging at the dam the other day so i went home got my dads Shakespeare Alpha rod (12') and i went to Academy got some 50Lb Braid, 5oz Sinkers, And 10/0 Hooks. I went later that night, while i was there no one caught anything at all but i did snag on a what looked like a Spoonbill but it snapped my line it was pretty big because it was pulling me towards the water.

Shakespeare Alpha Rod
    Goliath Reel (I think)
    5oz Sinker
    2 10/0 Hooks 9 inches apart
    100LB Braid Line

Also should i get weaker line because about 1/7th of the time you cast out you're going to snag onto other things besides fish? When you cast out should i let the bank sinker sink for a second or 2 or just start jerking as soon as it hits the water. Is there a certain way to tie the treble hooks to the line. Thanks a lot, Ive never snagged before.

2. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    when u put ur hook on wrap ur line around the shank of the hook 10 or 12 times and then loop it back threw the bottom. make cure to leave enough line so u have 18 inches or so to put on the sinker

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    A little trick I was taught many years ago was to make your first cast and count it down to the bottom. Example the bottom was a count of 20. Now jerk it back to you. The next cast count it down to 19 and engage and start jerking. Keep subtracting numbers until you hit a fish. Then stay at that count as long as you are snagging fish. If you change weight size on a break off. Start all over from scratch. I hope this helps.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use 25# mono and have caught them up to 57lbs. I use a 5/0 treble about 18-20" above my weight. I use a 3 oz bank weight. I have more pull the hook than break the line.

Welcome to the BOC.

5. idamaster

idamaster New Member

State:
    LA
    Like this?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]