Snagging the Missouri

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by bluetick1897, Mar 24, 2009.

1. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    There has got to be a ton of spoonies in the Missouri. I am going to give it a shot, but since there are no dams to isolate fish I was wondering if anyone has had success on the river. I figured I would start with channel swings and holes behind dikes. If anyone has any info of past success on the Missouri river I would be much appreciative. Depth, water temp, sand flats, dike holes, blowout holes....any pattern. I was thinking of starting at the low water dam at Howell Island. Thank you for any Info.

2. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Duckalot snagged seven on the missouri a few days ago, you might shoot him a PM

3. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Jeff, we snagged the Mo. on Sunday. The mission was to eradicate some of the Asian Carp from my home waters but ended up snagging more Spoonbill then we did Carp. LOL Only one was of Legal size. Lots of little spoonies, witch tells me that they must be reproducing. All were caught behind the wing dikes in various depths of water.
    Good Luck,
    Rob'

4. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    What part of the Missouri were you getting them at?

5. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    Between Waverly and Lexington. Around the 300 mm.

6. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Hey rob ,how do you snag with that kind of current?

7. duckalot

State:
    Missouri

We stay below the dikes out of the current. Proly won't see the Dikes for a while now. Between the Ice/snow thats up north, and the snow thats in the forecast, I'm afraid we are going to be looking at a lot of water down this way.
    Rob'

8. MoJon

MoJon New Member

State:
    NoMo
    Do you snag just like at Warsaw or just try rippin it up when you get over them when you see them on the fish finder?

9. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    Its pretty tough due to the rapid change in water depth below the wing Dikes. You will always have a deep hole just below the cut in the dike and more shallow water on each side. You will drive yourself nuts letting line out or putting it back on. My only advise is to keep the boat moving and keep the rods pumping. You will always graph more fish on the first pass and after a few circles you will push a lot of the fish out. If you like to snag from the bank, ease your boat up to the dike and make a few fan cast out over the area. I'm by all means no expert, but give me a shout if I can help you out.
    :wink:

10. Snagman23

Snagman23 Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Sam
    Hi Bluetick, I'm new to BOC, but I have been reading the forums. Last weekend I snagged a keeper at Howell Island, but the water was not even close to coming over the spillway. I'm waiting for that to happen so they run up the chute. I got in there with a boat to save myself the trouble of casting. Tons of bigheads and a couple gar too! We tried behind the wingdikes and the entrance of Labadie power plant, but no luck with spoonies. I've been hitting keepers up at the Alton lock and dam from the bank the past week also. I was also wondering how the snagging was around the oar house on the lake. If anyone knows other spots around St. Louis other than winter park let me know. I'd appreciate it.-Sam

11. MoJon

MoJon New Member

State:
    NoMo
    If you talknig about the Oar House on LOZ, heres a post I put on another thread here. The Dome hole is just down from the Oar house.

Roads were'nt bad at all. The back end of the truk and the boat only tried to pass the front end 1 time, on the overpass right in front of where Southtown Ford used to be. Ran out of the snow/ice alittle ways past Belton. Weather was B-utiful, a lil chilly right at sunrise but over all great day. Snagged one fish 38" about 30# hooked one other fish and it pulled off about 2-3 runs into it. Caught the first one about the 87 and hooked the other one just under the Dome hole. At least we didnt get SKUNKED. Jon

12. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hit 4 on the mississippi Sunday. All between 15 and 25 pounds. Just circling behind dikes in the dropoff. All the dikes were under though. Lots of bigheads to weed through. I was going to try the MIssouri but didnt feel like dealing with the current or the torpedos in the rising water.

13. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    lol arnt bruised ribs funn from bigheads

14. Snagman23

Snagman23 Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Sam
    hey, if anyone is interested, i am thinking of snagging the howell island chute on possibly thursday or the next few days after while the water is still way up around 22 ft. let me know if you want to meet up and go, otherwise i will post how i do anyways if i go solo. i caught a keeper a couple weekends ago when the water was way down, so now they should be in there i would think. i guess i'll see in the next few days

15. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I am anxious to here how you do in the Howell chute. I didn't think anyone snagged there it just seemed like a close to home spot to try. I have snagged since I was a kid. It was a "family tradition" to go to Bagnell on opening at midnight. Now I'm trying to get my friends into it. Seems like a lost art, but gaining popularity again. I've said before that the Missouri has to be loaded, but since there are no dams its tough to Isolate the fish around here. Keep me posted!

16. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Howell is actually quite a popular place for snagging. That's where I learned to do it as a kid. We'd go across the spillway on the sandbar on the far side, below the spillway. We'd usually get one keeper to take home. If you fish the near side or the spillway, be prepared to lose plenty of rigs. I haven't been out there in a few years so I don't know how hard it gets hit, but there were always plenty of people out there when we used to go. Now we do LOZ and the quality of fish is far better, but for a quick trip Howell is definitely a good option. If the water is high and over the spillway, we never did good and mostly lost gear.

17. Snagman23

Snagman23 Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Sam
    WELL...... I went to howell island on wednesday on foot and somebody said his brother said he caught his limit in 45 minutes, so he and i went over the levee but the both of us didn't catch a fish in about 45 minutes so i left. i went back the next day thinking it would be easier by boat, but we only caught a bighead and two small blue cats. i guess the water going down ran everything out of there by the time i got there. maybe next time its going up i'll get in there in time. i also heard alton dam has gone to hell in the last week or so, i guess we'll see.