Snagging the fish when setting hook

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Philiagorillia, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When i was out fishing saturday morning i caught 2 outta my 5 cats by snagging them on thier sides. Is there a reason for this or did i just get lucky and snagged them when they turned away from the bait?

2. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    When we fish vertically over soured grain it's quite common. We may accidently foul hook 5 or 6 per trip. They must be really thick down there feeding on the grain. The tap of them bumbping the line, leader, bait or weight feels just like a bite. A one pound channel cat hooked in the tail on light tackle wll make you think you latched into a really nice fish.

3. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    i did that last year it was 8 or 9lb it was like a 40lb people were :smile2: at me i was so:embarassed:

4. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I side hook them a lot. Catfish have taste buds on their whiskers and down the side of their body. They're like a big tongue swimming around. So, it's very common for them to brush up against bait, to get a taste before they eat it. I fish below dams, and use artificial bait. Half of the fish I catch are side hooked. As a matter of fact, the fish in my avatar was side hooked. I was using a three ounce diamond spoon at the time.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    sometimes the fish can run into the hooks and snag there selfs