Snagging Status on the Osage river in missouri

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by redneckdrum, Apr 1, 2006.

1. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Anybody been snagging yet this year on the upper Osage near Roscoe?

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Red I dont snag, but on the river alot, talk to two guy at bait shop that had 41 & 43 said they had got them at roscoe, that was wed evening.
    Have seen several
    , caught . You know if you dont go, you know what youve caught.
    GOOD LUCK.

3. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I plan to snag tomorrow and tues near Warsaw, but have seen no posts! Is the snagging going well or should I chase something else? Hannibal Mike

4. xxx MASTERFISHER xxx

xxx MASTERFISHER xxx New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I haven't been snagging but I just got back from fishing the tailrace and we snagged into ALOT of spoonies (probably over ten, but we didn't get all of them in) including on that was around 60#.

5. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    My nephew and I were down near Warsaw and saw several spoonies caught. We only caught one, but it was 73lb! It was a funny show, sort of. My nephew is a burly young man who fishes quite a bit, but not for big spoons! Well, the I loaned him a big reel with 100lb snagging braid and the first day he broke his rod when he hit a snag. He only had medium catfish rods with him, so I loaned him a really nice 8' graphite medium heavy catfish rod the next day and off we went. He hit a large spoon and it jumped clear out of the water and my nephew really got excited! I guess that he figured that with 100 lb line he could pull that big'un water ski style to the boat. Thats when he broke my rod. Not to be stopped he was still leaning on the 3' stub so hard that he ripped the reel out of the fuji reel seat. Immediatly he drops the rod and reel to the floor of the boat and starts hand lining the fish to the boat. I kept saying "take it easy", but this is by far the biggest fish that my nephew has ever seen on a hook and he was on a mission. Well, the fish came to the boat and I gaffed it (knowing that he'ld have killed me if it got away) and pulled in into the boat. He just kept saying "Wow", "Wow", then stepped closer for a look. The fish was lying fairly still, but it was a big female and had some energy left. As my nephew got close to the head, the fish gave a flop and the spoon did a judo chop on my nephew's big toe. He was wearing sandles with the toes exposed. Now, I have flopping spoonie and a hopping nephew in the boat. The "Wow, "Wow" became an "Oww", Oww". Finally he sat down and began examining his toe for blood or bruising and was disappointed when there wasn't any. For about an hour he moaned about the toe. After that, I said maybe we should go catfishing. Nothing like a large fish and a good story to go with it. Hannibal Mike

6. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Now that thar is funny I don't care who you are!!! He got any moles?

7. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    LOL, nice story. Wish I could get after them one more time, but probably won't with the gobblers and slabs calling my name.

8. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I am thinking about another trip for spoonbill on the osage near roscoe. Is it too late? Did the rain bring the rivers up too much? I have not caught a spoonie this year, and I would like to get one. What do you think? I could go downriver too if it is better below the dam. Hannibal Mike

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Several nice spoonbill are being caught down river from the 65 bridge on LOZ.
    Also several are being caught on the upper Osage on Truman.
    I managed to land a 44 incher (measured from eye to fork of the tail) while walleye fishing on a crank bait and 8 lb. test last week. Had it hooked in the tail and gave me quite a battle for a while.
    This will be the last week end of season, get out and get ya some......:0a23:

10. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Mike I saw Steve Brown Monday on LOZ and he was guiding a party and they had boated four and shortly after I spoke with him they caught another one. Sunday the main channel was crowded with snaggers but I didn't see a lot of spoonies. I'd say you could still take one if you want to work at it. See ya on the water!