Snagging Spoonies near Warsaw

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Ogger, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Ogger

Ogger New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Was heading up the Warsaw area and was wondering if anyone was doing any good around there?

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome boc great to have you aboard im sure someone on here can help you out

3. Ogger

Ogger New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I appreciate it!

4. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    i went a week ago and only caught one in six hrs. every one else had 3 or 4 fish hangin from thier boat tho.it was good we just couldnt get into to them

5. ccso639

ccso639 New Member

State:
    Cass Couty, MO
    Just back from Warsaw. We caught 4 keepers ranging from 45-60 lbs. We caught them between MM84 and MM85. We lost two others. The water temp is about 51 degrees and I believe they are starting to move and school up. Kyle

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Hmmm we got 2 blue cats sunday... About makes a person want to toss his cookies snagging a blue. Knowing you can't keep the fish and you know he's going to die.... blah Oh well had to try it.. don't think I want to do it again. Poor blues.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Too bad you couldn't catch them when you were using bait...:eek:oooh: Brad's bad luck, I tell ya....

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    thats no lie!!! Truman has never been very kind to me. My PB down there is only 20lbs. I had one on Sunday that surly would have bested that mark but it came off???? When i finally break the Truman curse You fellas better watch out!!!

our boat ended the day with 10-12 fish, how did you end the day marty?

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Dumb question..... Are them BIG spoonies any good to eat? Never tried snagging for them. Lots of folks are after them on the river though so they must be good eatin'.

10. Ogger

Ogger New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    They are amazing to eat. Firm meat similar to shark, I hear. Only a spine and no other bones. Everyone thought they were trash until some genius decided to take the red meat off and keep the white meat. Then everyone was after them. In the 60's and 70's I heard they filled up their jons with the fish. Which by the way has led to the strict regs that we have today. And that was before anyone realized the eggs were worth anything. They are a blast to catch as well.

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Its like any thing else Skippy. Ive heard countless people say they dont like deer, fish, ect. It's all in the processing, seasoning and proper cooking with anything. Yes there good, no bones, you have to trim all the red meat and fat off so all thats left is the pure white meat. I plan to inject and marinate some big chunks up to put on the smoker tomorrow. Once there smoked I make fish tacos with them, never had any complaints. :wink:

You can also just cut them up in bite size pieces and coat and fry the same as any fish and there good. I like to soak them in milk for a while first if Im going to fry them. Bake em, make jerky out of them, what ever you want.
    I make my own coating mix to taste so i think that has a lot to do with it no matter what kind of fish Im eating. If the mix isnt to taste the fish wont be either. I mix several kinds together until it's to my likeing. A little andys, a pack. of shake and bake chicken, a pack of shore lunch ect. Im not much into corn meal and prefer the sweeter coatings.

12. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like to cut them into steaks, marinate in a Lemon/Butter marinade then grill them. If I'm going to fry them I'll cut them in strips, soke them in Red Hot for the day, coat them in a flour mixture, and deep fry. The Red Hot doesn't make it hot, just adds a little flavor to it.

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    That sounds good Dave. I cook pheasant breast strip about the same way. I melt a stick of butter and a bottle of hot sauce in the frying pan, then coat the strips in flour and fry. Will have to try some spoonbill that way.

14. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    DANG GUYS QUIT TALKING LIKE THAT YOUR MAKING ME HUNGRY .. :roll_eyes:

15. Reb54

Reb54 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't rmemeber filling up Jon boats with them in the 60 and 70's. Limit was still two a day. Now once in a while after catching a a limit we would go home take a nap and forget it was the same day but not always :smile2:

Course back then 70lbers were common. We used to grind them up and make samon patties out of them.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO

Is your total counting the foul-hooked blue cats??

I think we ended up at about 8 or 9 fish, enough to clean but not enough to brag about...

BTW - did you guys see that North River boat that was out on the water Sunday? Makes my SeaArk look like a cheap jon boat...

17. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I seen the north river boat Sunday Marty. Could hear it coming lol. Threw a pretty big wake too.... A guy could camp in that thing for a while, they had it set up nice. We left the ramp around noon and I noticed a red sea ark headed past drake about the time we pulled out. Good to hear you all caught a few.

18. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    that aint no lie:smile2:

19. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Alan, I drove downstream from Drake Harbor to the 80 mm. I saw several fish tied to boats. I did notice a group of 5 that had 9 tied up. I saw lots of fish. I would try near the Oar House if I was you. Water temp was showing 54. Good Luck!

20. Ogger

Ogger New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I appreciate the help, should be leaving Wednesday.

On the overharvesting on spoonbill - maybe that was only in Nebraska and South Dakota. I've seen pictures. Could be the reason you have to draw for a tag in those states now.