Snagging spoonbills at Kentucky Dam

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by jessiert, Sep 25, 2006.

1. jessiert

jessiert New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Is anyone snaggin below the Ky Dam. Want to come catch some spoonbills in about two weeks. Does anyone know how fishin will be then.
    Thanks

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jessie, snagging is not like fishing with bait, but it still can be hit or miss. On any given day you can usually snag paddlefish at the tailwaters. All I can say is go for it. If you go and it is not productive at least you went, right? Vern

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I was down there a couple of weeks ago and watched the snaggers at work. It seemed like they were averaging 30-45 minutes worth of snagging per spoonbill caught, and the ones they were catching were fairly small, maybe 10-15lbs.

4. jessiert

jessiert New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey thanks for the info guy. I believe I'm deffentally going and if I have any good news when I get back I'll share it and hopefully some pics of some spoonbills.

5. SIVART22573

SIVART22573 New Member

State:
    Pewee Valley, Kentucky
    do you guys snag from a boat or the bank? i've never done it or seen anyone else do it, sounds like fun.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What do folks do with those paddle fish ?

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Danny, people eat the paddlefish. They are excellent for the table. White flakey filets. Vern

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Danny the paddlefish is very easy to clean and good to eat. It's easy to get hooked on snagging when the fish are on the move. What type of equip. do you use?

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Danny I met a commercial fisherman down here in southern IN that has custom made flatbottom boats, Look like Jon's on steriods with net outriggers, fishes for the giant spoonbills in the real cold of winter when the girlies are full of eggs, sells the eggs to Russia for caviare....I'm talking 150 and over pounders. Showed me some pictures that gave me pause.
    I mean there are big fish & then there are these units.....he had to build a processing plant with overhead trolleys to handle the weight and dressing them out & all that goes into it. Dangerous work, but he makes a good living. Not sure I spelled that right, but you know the stuff rich folk put on crackers to have with their wine before dinner....he showed me a photo of one that went 180 something pounds, said that one fish got him $1200.
    It's good to be king....

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well now, I don't live far from there, I would like to see this.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Me too. I've seen the boats and the processing plant. The nets are calibrated to get only the big ens, I think he said anything under 140 lbs. was'nt worth the trouble so the "small ones" slip on thru. He has no interest in line fishing. I met him thru a buddy of mine that does concrete work and the guy was building a new house. He let us fish a small honey hole he has on his property and spend the night. He has a little nature preseve with small deer, peecocks, critters all over the place...it was really a great time. I'm trying to get hooked up, but he has a crew of regulars...he did say sometimes he needs extra help if someone goes down...cold and dangerous. I'll bump you if I get lucky. Might well be worth the trip.

12. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Danny the spoonbill aren't the money fish, sturgeon are the money fish for the eggs. I got it wrong, but not the size. The danger part is separating the spoonbill and cat from the target fish. Still learning and get oletimers desease sometimes.....sorry....but am at least gonna try and get some photos if I can. Still hard for me to beleive freshwater fish can get so large!

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks Gary, thats ok It's all the excitment I would like to see, maybe get some of that white flackey meat.

14. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    i am very interested in these spoonbill and have never seen one in person nor caught one. but i hear they are good eating? i live in clarksville Tn and willing to drive to KY to catch some of these spoonbill if they are still running? if some one is willing to take me out for some I'll supply the gas and boat. or what ever is needed . someone send me a p.m
    i would love to learn about a new fish thats good eating..

15. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    Back in the late 80's snaggin for spoonbill below cheatham dam was fairly popular at certain times of the year. What happened??

I remember goin when i was a teenager and the generator side of the cheatham was almost shoulder to shoulder with snaggers.

As i understand , it is illegal in TN now?? Did the fish get overharvested here??

just wondering

thanks
    rc

16. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Michael, paddlefish can be snagged below Kentucky Lake in the tailwaters year round. There is certain times that snagging can only be done at night. The rest of the state has a February 1 to May 10 season on paddlefish in certain waters. You can find the prohibited waters listed in the Ky sportfishing guide. In the state of KY you are allowed 2 paddlefish per day. Maybe more in the Kenlake Tailwaters, I'm not sure.

Robert, the Tennessee dept of game and fish banned the snagging season because of overfishing. Many states consider the paddlefish as a threatened species and have limited snagging or none at all. Vern

17. arja4444

arja4444 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Michael; me and 4 of mycousins used to go snagging at Ky dam on a regular basis. We were all living in Evansville at the time, and we'd go over on Fri. night and come back Sat. or Sun. It's some of the most fun fishing you can do. But, you need really heavy equipment. Any super stiff rod would work ok. We used 2 to 2 1/2 inch bamboo about 6 1/2 or 7 feet long wrapped in black electric tape, the biggest reels we could find(I remember some of us had big Penn's. We put the reels on the poles with heavy hose clamps. the eyes on the poles were taped on during the wrapping with the electric tape. we used huge treble hooks with a heavy sinkers (16-20 oz), and 120-140 lb mono line. you tie the treble hook so the line runs thru the eye, wraps around the shaft of the hook several times, and hangs down about 4-8 inches below the bottom of the hook. Thats where the sinker goes. Throw her out as far as you can...let it go to the bottom...tighten your line while you drop the rod tip down as low as you can........and JERK the rod up and back over your shoulder just as hard as you can. Tighten your line-drop your rod tip and do it again. Repeat until you hit a fish or get the hook back to you-cast her out and do it again. I suggest you take a buddy cause about 30-40 minutes of good snag fishin is about all you want before taking a break. It's a "young man's" type of fishin. Boy, you brought up some great memories for me Michael. This wasabout 35 years ago but I still remember well the fun and good times we had. We would catch some channel cats but mostly the paddle heads and big drum. I will promise you this, if you snag into a 40-60 pounder there at the dam in that current you'll be glad to have a buddy to help you get it in. Especially if you've snagged it in the side or towards the tail like you're likely to do. Ha Ha. But, I'll also promise you that like me and my cousins, you'll never forget it. Oh, and DON'T FORGET to get a KY fishing license. I bet you can still get them right there in the little town right at the dam. (I think it's called Catabwa) You used to be able to get a 1-day or a 3-day license real reasonable at any of the bait shops there. (Also the hooks and sinkers) I hope you get a chance to go and good luck. Thanks for bringing up some good cat fishin memories.