Snagging Spoonbill on LOZ

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by BajaCoop, Mar 17, 2008.

1. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    For those of you that snag for spoonies on LOZ what part of the lake do you tend to fish? It is a huge lake and I am sure that a lot of it is not going to produce fish.

If I take my dad's boat(1752 Blazer with a 60 horse jet) it does not handle rough water very well and does not have a fishfinder.(It is set up to run the Current River)

Any advice you can give me would be great since this will be my first ever attempt at spoonies. I am hoping to make a trip with someone that knows what they are doing but I don't know how schedules are going to work out.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You want to be on the Osage arm, anywhere in the few miles below the hwy 65 bridge at Warsaw. That's where nearly all the spoonbill snagging takes place on the LOZ. Put in at Warsaw Harbor, go 3 or 4 miles downstream and you're in the best location in the country for finding those nasty things.

3. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know they catch a bunch of them around the 72mm and 52MM as I have friends with cabin at each. You won't be able to miss all the boats out there snagging.

4. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I wish I knew more about LoZ for snagging but I haven't done it myself yet. There's quite a few guys around here though that snag up there and I could probably get a report from one of them pretty close to whenever you plan on going.

5. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    figures it would be the part of the lake that is farthest from me.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Find 3 friends and come book a snagging trip with Steve Brown at Catfish Safari. You won't go away disappointed...

I've never snagged for spoonbill, but if I did, I sure as heck wouldn't try to do it without a sonar unit of some kind - you'll work yourself to death with little to show for it if you don't have at least a little bit of a clue as to what's under you...

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I'm bring my boat with me whenever I snag LoZ for the first time since I got a somewhat decent graph. On the James we don't need a graph because we have snagged it long enough to know the holes that hold fish before hand.

I bet we can still find some fish though, I'm pretty confident when it comes to snagging. Too bad I can't say the same thing about catching big blue cats. :eek:oooh::confused2::embarassed:

8. Keith A

Keith A New Member

State:
    missouri
    They are right, the osage arm is the best. I went out last season without a sonar. The best thing is to look for all the other boats that are snagging they will show you where to fish.

9. flatheadHunter84

flatheadHunter84 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    they are giving good advice, without sonar watch for other boats, ask someone when you put in what that part of the river is like, there are some ramps like brush creek where without sonar you will be running in 2 ft of water for ever if you don't know how the channel runs, and the channel can be very tricky, also without knowing the river go in the day time, there have been times at night when we have had to help people find there way back to the ramps depending on where you are. I would say there are good aeras for new people to the river and there are other spots you should go out with someone. I wouldn't recomend getting a guide for paddlefish, fish will be where the boats are, save the money and get you a depth finder. Catfishing go with the guide you will learn tons.

10. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I usually fish anywhere from 52mm to 65mm on the osage arm at LOZ. There is a public ramp at about the 62mm on the south side of the lake called Brown Bend Access. Or if you are looking for a cabin to rent for the weekend I can get you line out on that also.

11. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I don't think I have ever seen the lake level this high at snagging time. I would think if you snag LOZ now and not familiar with the lake your gonna need a graph just to keep yourself in the channel and off the shallow flats. Right now with all the rain we got the lake appears almost full looking out the window. Y'all stay safe out there and best of luck.

12. Jagerace

Jagerace New Member

State:
    Columbia Missouri
    New member first post. Anyone know what the Osage below bagnel looks like right now? 3 of us limited out in a few hours both days this weekend. Looking at maybe making a trip down there Sun.

Josh

13. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    It says they are only pumping out 25000 cfs through Bagnell right now. I think we might head down there Friday. Did you guys snag right below 54 or go down river a ways?

14. Jagerace

Jagerace New Member

State:
    Columbia Missouri

It was my first time, we started near the bridge with no success so we headed downstream. We did great at the first bend in the river, maybe a mile from the bridge. The locals have a name for it but I don't remember what they called it.

Josh

15. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I gotcha. Thanks for the quick info. The past few years we have done better down river a ways also.

Did you guys snag any asian carp? Also did you catch any spoonbill over 20 pounds or just the typical 25-28" fish?

16. Jagerace

Jagerace New Member

State:
    Columbia Missouri
    We caught 1 40lb, 2 30lb, and the rest we around 30". No carp, only bills. We let a lot of small fish go, looked like we had better than average fish back at the ramp.

Josh

17. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Those are huge for below Bagnell atleast from what we have ever caught. In all the years I have snagged there, the biggest I have caught was a 42" skinny male that weighed 28 lbs.

I guess since they have been running the water that the spoonbill have really moved up thick to the upper reaches of the Osage. The past few years I think we were the only people who ever caught any fish up there. The snagging report that MDC put out always said that they didn't see anybody with fish but we would limit out every trip up there below Hwy 54.

18. Jagerace

Jagerace New Member

State:
    Columbia Missouri
    The 3 big fish were all females. Guess thats kinda odd this early. But like I said it was our first time and we didn't even know what we were doin. Guess I'm a quick learner! Now I wanna figure out how to do it on LOZ when the big fish are running.

Josh

19. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I'd like to do the same on LoZ also. They say the Osage arm of LoZ is the best, but I know a few guys that also catch paddlefish at the mouth of the Niangua's on LoZ, and that is only about 45 minutes of Osage Beach west on 54. Warsaw is a lot farther drive from the direction that I come from so I'd gladly try snagging the Niangua area if I can find the fish.

I do know the previous state record paddlefish was pulled from the Niangua area of LoZ.

20. Jagerace

Jagerace New Member

State:
    Columbia Missouri
    I live in Columbia so its a haul no matter where I choose to snag. Have boat will travel!!! lol

Josh