Snagging spoonbill in 2010

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Catfish_Calvin, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Well, on the Illinois prarie state outdoors website it Says that the Season started January 1st. It snuck up on me this year! Started getting my gear rounded up and was gonna go down and try below Keokuk soon. Today a friend of mine got ahold of me and told me he stumbled on these NEW 2010 Spoonbill Regulations. This is directly from the 2010 Iowa Fishing Regulations.

2010 Regulation Changes:

1. When fishing for paddlefish on the Mississippi River anglers are restricted to:
      • hooks no larger than 5/0 treble or measuring more than 1-1/4 inch in length when two of the hook’s points are placed on a ruler,
      • an open season period from March through April 15
      • and immediately releasing alive all fish 33 inches and greater when measured from the front of the eye to the fork of the tail (See page 13)

I havent been able to get of the Illinois DNR yet. But if they haven;t changed their rules, then I'm not real sure how that will work. I also don't know how it will work for you guys snagging in Bonaparte. Different river, different rules?

2. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    Calvin,
    Thanks for the post.... i think...... I havn't looked up the regs yet, but will. I looked a few weeks ago and the same regs that have been past years were there. Is there any part of this that makes any sense? The only way I would ever be any part of ok with these more restrictive rules are if they have restricted the commercial harvest of paddlefish the same way ! I have said before that letting the commercial guys take as many as they want, while the recreational fishermen keep getting there oportunities limited every little bit, is WRONG ! I'm all for limits , but make them at least a little closer to fair accross the board !
    Larry :Mad:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010

3. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    You're exactly right about the commercial fishermen. That makes no sense at all. Maybe they changed rules there also. But im not sure. I didnt know anything about this either til a friend came upon it. Google 2010 Iowa Spoonbill regs and it will show the "new rules". I dont know what the deal is. The Mississippi is part of Illinois also. I have a license for Illinois. Wonder if I can still fish legally? I dont know....

4. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    Calvin,
    Well Illinois has changed their seasons and rules to the same as Iowa on the spoonbill fishing... I have emailed back and forth several times with a guy at the dnr and he says that the paddlefish fisherman are getting to good with the newer fish finders and that in order to give the spoobill a better chance they felt the restrictions are needed... I have not used a fish finder for spoobill, i'm not sure it would work were we fish at keokuk, now up at dam 18 I could see it helping there, maybe... What do you guys think ?
    As far as commercial fishing, Iowa hasn't alowed it for years, but Illinois does on the mississippi below dam 19 at keokuk. No size limit, No limit on how many.... probably has something to do with the smaller numbers of spoonies at Bonapart and ottumwa on the des moines river, as the des moines river drains into the mississippi just below the keokuk dam...
    I'm all for anything that will make there be more and bigger spoonbill, that is why I go after them, for a chance to fight and land a hog ! Not so much to eat em, altho they do eat good too...
    My main gripe with all this is that the season doesn't open till march 1st thru april 15 , well by then the river may be starting to run fuller making it harder, if not dangerous, to fish in there below the dams ! That may just make it so we can't fish at all on some years... maybe part of the master plan by the powers to be.
    I don't like it, I hope I am wrong .
    Larry

5. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Looking through pictures the earliest I have snagged a spoonbill was down in Keokuk was the first week of Febuary. I talked to them also. We can still go out and snag for asian carp. Buffalo. etc. Anything except spoonbill and gamefish. If you do hook a game fish you have to release it. Ill snag just like I normally do. Take a picture. And release it. Ive always used 10/0 hooks. Not sure how 5/0 will work? Might be a pain.

6. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    And they are full of it about the sonar/depthfinder thing. I dont know anyone who uses them in Keokuk or at 18

7. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    The 5/0 hooks will straightn out on a big one, I know that from what has happened in the past... and I have a bunch of 10 / o hooks. Maybe I will have to save them for a trip to MO.
    I wish IA. Ill. would watch and learn what Mo. does with hunting - fishing recreational activities. Mo. wants you to have success, Ia wants your money and not harvest anything ! .

8. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    They outlawed snagging at one of the best places in southern IL. I went to the Alton dam and couldn't snag any fish not even asian carp. I don't know if I'm even going to snag this year.

9. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
  10. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    You can snag all year around. You just cant keep sportfish or spoonbill. You can also use larger than a 5\0 hook to snag carp. Year around.......................

11. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    If I remember right, In IA you can only snag during spoonbill season on the mississippi. no matter what you are snagging.

12. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Dear Mr. Meyer,
    It is legal to snag asian carp, common carp and buffalo year around. You are not restricted to the size of the snagging hook when doing so. However if you snag any game fish or a paddle fish out of season or with a hook size larger than 5/0 you must release the fish immediately.

Martin Konrad
    Iowa DNR
    502 E 9th Street
    Des Moines, IA. 50319
    email: Martin.Konrad@dnr.iowa.gov
    ph. 515/281-6976
    fax 515/281-6794

13. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    Thanks for the info. Calvin. Looks like we may have to go big head carp snaggin and bring the camera. :winky:

14. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Flatcatter. I just got done emailing the DNR about commercial fishermen using nets to harvest spoonbill when us pole and line fisherman cant even keep 2 of them. They have been really good about getting back with me so I'll post their reply when I get it. Ive been snagging below the Keokuk dam and really getting into the asian carp. I posted a few videos on youtube. A few times I have ran into commercial fishermen loading up their boats and they have had a bunch of spoonbill and sturgeon. :angry: Gotta love it huh.

Spoonbill Opener is tomorrow! But I get to work. Might go out Thursday.

15. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    There was a couple hundred spoonbill snagged at dam 18 opening day. Lots of small ones. Gonna be a while til the big ones move up.

Got a message back from the DNR. He said the Commercial harvest of Spoonbill in Iowa is prohibited. But it is stilll legal in Illinois.