snagging spoon bill, why so popular???

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by adam1886, Mar 15, 2009.

1. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    im just curious what makes snagging so big? is spoonbill really good eating or something? last year was the first year i was down by truman during snagging season and i was down there this weekend and the boat ramps are a mad house with snaggers. ive also hear of people waiting on the water until the clock strikes 12 to start.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    All you have to do is hang one about 50# and you will be hooked:smile2: If they are prepared right they are good eating. Not as good as catfish, but good. Here in Okla. we can snag year round, but it is best in the spring dyring the run.

3. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    I have been snagging twice and was not really thrilled with it.

4. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    i went last year with some guys i met below the dam. we only caught one small one in 8 hrs of snagging. i guess one of these days i need to get me a rod and get in to some to see what its all about

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ya need to get hooked sometime:roll_eyes: I went out the other day fer the first time and wrecked my tackle box with nuttin to show fer it all but we had a blast anyway...(LOL) it was atleast 15 yrs since I have been out and I fergot what fun it is:wink:

6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Its not for everyone. When you do hit the big one its a thrill. I can't do it as much as I did but I still have to try every year. My biggest was 57 lbs and I'm aways looking for one bigger

7. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I watched them for years and never wanted to get in the mad house but one year my boss talked me into taking him.I caught a 46 lber in about 15 minutes and I still havent changed my opinion.I'll never go again,I dont like standing elbow to elbow with a bunch of guys.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Snagging is a lot like fishing. Neither one of them is particularly fun, but boy, the catching is. LOL Hook one of those jokers in the tail and it is about the same as trying to reel in a Volkswagen. Fight...you think they'll pull the pole right out of your hands.

9. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I cant see where it would be more exciting than hooking a big cat in the Mo river or in a lake. I went once and wasnt inpressed. I will stay with catfishing.

Tom

10. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
  11. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    when conditions are RIGHT; like when its real cold, a brite day,lots turbons are running, good eddie. the fish will stack in like cord wood .you can catch your limit in under a hour! Nothing better than cold water spoony! :wink:

12. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Why go fishing and hunting at all? There are grocery stores! Snagging is different and not for everyone. Its an educated blind luck sport. It has a short season. Usually you go with a group of friends. The meat is far better than anything you can buy. Sounds like Deer Hunting. And oh yeah, you can catch a 150 pound fish possibly!

13. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Amen brother!! Even if the snagging is slow, it's kind of like deer camp. Just get a group of guys to go and enjoy yourselves.

14. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just luv to snagg for spoonbill. I its early spring and somthen to do rather than fish for crappie or trout. Its a blast to hang one. And spoonbill are great on the grill. The meat has a nice rich flavor. And its one heck of a great workout.:cool2:

15. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It is not for everyone thats for sure. The meat is OK in my book but the time on the water is what it is all about. I am also a people watcher and nothing is more intertaining than watching a boat full of guys all get snagged on a tree or something. The boat driving and pulling loose of the hooks is great. Everyone has a plan and its always the drivers fault when it does not work out. A friend and myself went for the opener at Osceola last Sunday morning at Midnight. That was different, at midnight we saw flares being shot in the air and air horns going of all to mark the start of the season. Good times.........

16. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    i never knew they shot of flares and air horns to start it

17. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    We didn't see any flares or hear any air horns, but everybody started hooping and hollering lol.

18. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Lol. Lots of fun to be had while snagging. You cant talk down on snagging until you have hooked into a 50+ pound spoonbill. Then you can talk bad if you want, but ill still disagree. :wink:

19. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    i just cant imagine what it would feel like to snag into a 50+ fish. the one i caught last year was just under legal limit and it felt like a train. im not that big so im sure it would probably yank me out of the boat:smile2:

20. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Small world Seth. The guy I went with grew up in Owensville.....