snagging season

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by capmadlee, Feb 27, 2008.

1. capmadlee

capmadlee Member

State:
    p hill missouri
    is everyone ready? where are you going to snag?

2. bc179whitetail

bc179whitetail New Member

State:
    St.Louis Missouri
    Yes we are ready just as soon as our boagets in this next week. Might not have it all rigged but we will make do. We are going to LOZ first the out on the Missouri. Good Luck To All

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I will be hitting the James River arm of Tablerock on opening night. Got a few things to do to the boat and then I'm ready to start rippin'!

4. flatheadHunter84

flatheadHunter84 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i think i will be hitting tal. bend. i dont see the watter being very warm yet so I think It will be mostley males being taken opening weekend but im hoping to get me a big old fatty.

5. swmo guy

swmo guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is my first year snagging and I am going to have to do it from the banks. Anyone have any suggestions of where I should go? I live in Joplin (SWMO) and would like to not have to drive all the way across the state... lol Any help would be appreciated!

6. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    ok fellas.

when exactly does it start??

7. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    12:00 AM March 15

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    they made snaggin illegal in Indiana this year !:eek:oooh:

9. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    That stinks! :eek:oooh:

10. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    Will wait till after the first couple week to go. Seems the trafic isn't as bad on the water and you can definitely get larger fish when the water warms some. We go out around here on the mississippi and then hit lake of the ozark honey hole in Apr. Good luck all!
    Jon

11. flatheadHunter84

flatheadHunter84 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It starts March 15th. You will see people lined up getting there boats put in that night waiting for 12am to strike. We caught mostly small ones at the begenning of the year but a little guy (6yrs old)we took fishing with us caught an 82lber, It was his first fish ever, now he is hooked. So you we may get lucky, you never know unless your hooks in the water.

12. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I think there are a number of resident fish that stay up in the James River arm also. We usually always get a sow or two on opening night, even if they aren't running very good yet due to cold water.

We snag at night early in the season to avoid some of the traffic. Once April gets here and everybody starts moving on to other species of fish, we snag during the day and do great then too.

I just wish turkey season didn't have to coincide with the best part of snagging season. :embarassed:

13. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We are going to Osceola the 24 and 25th. We usually go opening weekend but with all this cold weather and schedules conflicting we had to wait. Good luck to everyone.

14. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I will be on the water 12:00am sat morn. This is a great time of the year, snaggin starts it off then catching boat loads of catfish will soon follow

15. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Which body of water are you hitting Mi11er?

16. catchase

catchase New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Can't wait, i have never been early in the season but i am thinking of trying. i didn't figure they would be in the rivers due to water temp but it looks like people do catch fish on Mar 15th 12am.

17. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    The fish are still there even early in the season. On LOZ I know they usually catch them pretty well around the Coffmann/Ivy Bend area. If you have a good graph, I'd imagine you could run down river and graph some deep holes and find pods of fish. They snag spoonboll all winter long in Oklahoma on Grand Lake by marking them in deep water on there fish finders and trolling through them.

18. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I have actually had more luck snagging when the water is cold.

lol Ill be sure to bring a camera this year

we should do our waters a favor and have an asian carp contest lol.

hopefully Ill get my first spoonbill this year.

19. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Ravenloft, I'll take you up on the asian carp contest some day. :smile2: Even if I lose, as long as I catch a bunch it's worth it!

Have you seen anybody pull a spoonbill out of the Mississippi below Alton Dam? I guess that's about the only place to snag from the bank this year around there since they don't allow snagging at Chain of Rocks this year.

20. LOC

LOC New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    when does the season open?i would like to go again this year