Snagging Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by xringer3, May 12, 2007.

1. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just had a quick question about snagging. I can't find what I'm looking for on the department of wildlife website or in the printed regulations unless I'm overlooking it.

I was told that snagging flathead catfish is legal, that it's not classified as a "gamefish". The only reference I can find in the regulations is to "sportfish", not what is classified as "gamefish". I've snagged about everything while snagging for spoonbill, but throw them back no matter what they are thinking that they can't be kept. I wouldn't mind keeping the sandbass if they are legal, since they are so abundant and delicious.

Anyone know for sure what is classified as "gamefish" in Oklahoma?

Thanks

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Flathead are not a game fish and they snag them all summer long at the dam here in Miami. I believe the only cat species that is a game fish is Channel.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Joel, I guess I've been going hungry all this time for now reason, lol!

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Does anyone know if sandbass are considered "game fish"? I didn't think they were, even though they have been named the "state fish".

5. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
  6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's exactly what I was looking for Joel, THANKS A BUNCH!:big_smile:

7. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    i read one of those free oklahoma fishing guides that u can git at walmart that you can gig sandbass.:smile2: