Snagging paddlefish

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Believer, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I'd like to hear your stories about snagging.
    Better yet, let's see if we can get a paddlefishing forum on this new site! :cool:

Eric

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I have a older couple that have booked opening day with me for the last few years. They actually live here on the lake and have tryed spoonbill fishing on there own but never have any luck. They are a great couple, unfortunatly he was diagnosed with cancer about a year ago and was going thru treatments and we were not sure if he would be strong enuff to go. Thankfully by opening day he was feeling better and was able to go. One story that comes to mind is several years ago we were out and he had caught 2 really nice fish and she had yet to land one. I said she was just waiting for the big one, about that time she hooked the largest fish of the day. With only one fish to go she soon hooked into another and it was a keeper sized male. (the females are the largest) We got him to the boat and brought him in, He went to trashing and about that time sunk a 10/0 treble hook into my hand and another 10/0 into my lower leg. He still had the third hook in him. Knowing he was about to thrash again at any moment I grabbed my pliers laying there and ripped both the hooks out of me. I no more than got them out and he went to floppin again, it didn't feel to good but I knew it would have really sunk them in had I not got them out. Lesson learned was now I never bring them in the boat until all the hooks have been removed and I keep my knife at hand at all times in case a line needs to be cut fast. A little peroxide from the 1st aid kit and I was fine. She said I guess I did catch the biggest one! ;)
    Here's a few pictures of them. The 1st two are from that year, the last pic. was opening day last year of them.

Attached Files:

3. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    man thats nice mess of fish take long to clean em all?

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I can fillet one out in about a minute. The hard part is the fine tuneing where you cut any of the red meat off. We only keep the white meat, some have a lot of red meat and some don't. I've done enuff they dont take to long, I have a cleaning station I built at home w/water and that helps.

5. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    so how much meat do ya get on an average?

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    You get quite a bit of meat, most fish average around 60 pounds that we catch. It just depends on how much red meat they have. I would guess you get about 1/3 after they are cleaned. I can't count how many times people have had to make a trip to wal-mart to get another cooler to have enuff room. I allways tell them to bring a Large cooler. I usally do 2 day trips and if there are two people thats 8 fish to take back home and it takes a good sized cooler each.

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I took my son snagging for the first time this year. He is only seven so I did cast out for him and snag the fish but he did the rest of the work reeling him in. Good thing it was only a small 15 to 20 pounder. I don't think he could have brought anything bigger in with the amount of current and being hooked in the tail. They sure do fight better when they are hooked in the tail.

Attached Files:

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Now that's what i'm looking for; Great story! I can't imagine haveing 2 10/0 hooks sticking in me! :crying:

So you're snagging with 3 hooks huh? How far apart are you spacing them?

Eric

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Weight on the bottom and than a hook every two foot up the line.

10. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    does anyone know how to get a snagging or paddlefish forum set up on here?

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Thats a great fish your boy caught Chris. I'm sure he was very happy. It looks like you have quite a bit of current there. Believer I know we had one on the old site, you may try running it by the moderators to get there thoughts.

12. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I think there was about 20,000cfs rolling over that low water dam. We will drive the boat within a 10 feet of the dam and throw that hunk of lead. The current is so stong by the time you have reeled in you have gone a hundred yards downstream. I'll watch the current realeases in the spring and watch for the right amount of current. If there's not at least 15,000 cfs flowing it's not worth the drive. The spoonbill will be farther downstream not stacked up below the dam and a LOT harder to snag. I've spent 8 hours with nothing to show for it and then come back four days later when the current is flowing at 15,000 or better and the three of us can catch 60 or 70 in a day or until your too dang tired.

13. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    60 or 70 in a day? Wow! Do you keep 'em or throw 'em back.
    Here in IL, we are only allowed to snag 2 & then we have to quit. :mad:
    The other screwy thing is that we are only allowed to keep spoons, carp, gar & stuff like that. A couple weeks ago I snagged a nice flat head, but had to release it. That makes no sense to me because it seems like a death sentence to release a snagged fish. It would've been better off being eaten by me! :)

Eric

14. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    In Oklahoma you are only allowed to keep one fish per day but you can catch and release as many as you want to. The barbs on hooks must be pinched in so not to allow too much damage to the fish. The spoonbill have really come back here after the poaching days of the past. We have several big lakes here that hold lots and lots of spoonbill. When the current is flowing right in the spring there are stacked up so thick it's hard not to snag one. Here a couple of my fish.

Attached Files:

15. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Those spoonbill really have a thick layer of meat on them. The barbless hooks really don't do that much damage to them. I've caught many fish where I can tell they have been caught several times before. I know our wildlife dept wouldn't let us catch and release as many as we wanted if they damaged too many fish.

16. asukevin

asukevin New Member

State:
    Tempe, AZ
    the only snagging i have ever heard of is when your line gets caught and you have to break it. :) What exactly is snagging?

17. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Nice pics Catfishcentral, Thanks! Thanks also for the reply, I guess flattening the barbs would help, but it seems like a hook in the belly could really do some damage. I guess they're tougher than we are.

asuKevin, snagging can be done from the bank or from a boat. I've never done it from a boat, but from the bank I use a 4 oz. sinker & a 10/0 treble hook (sometimes 2). We do it below the lock & dams on the Mississippi. Cast out into the heavy current near the locks, reel in you slack & then JERK with all your might, rinse & repeat! :cool:
    It's a lot of fun & a lot of work, it'll wear your butt out in a hurry. It can also be frustrating because you get snagged on the bottom a lot & have to keep re-rigging.

Eric

18. asukevin

asukevin New Member

State:
    Tempe, AZ
    right on, that sounds intense. Those spoonbills get HUUUGE!!

19. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Believer,

I can't remember ever hooking a spoonbill in the belly. I would say half of the time they are hooked in the side. The other times they really don't even have the hook in them. Lots of times the hook catches on the bill and the line and weight wrap around the bill. The same thing happens a lot when you catch them in the tail. They are barely hooked if at all and the line and sinker is just wrapped around the tail.

20. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I'm not familiar with spoonbill fishing at all.......I suppose there isn't any catch and release involved with snagging?? are they good eating??