snagging Osage Lock #1

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by bluetick1897, Mar 25, 2008.

1. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I am looking for any info on the lower osage river. I plan to put in at mari-osa ramp and heading to the old lock for sponnies. The only info I have is that it can be shallow and don't try to go through the lock. I would like to know how many people snag this area and if its worth a shot?

2. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jeff,
    I'll give you what info I can (not much though).
    I live just down stream from the mari-osa access.
    There have been a lot of people snagging there ever since opening day.
    I saw one boat (the people pulled over by my dock to relieve themselves), they had a least 4 decent fish tied at the boat.
    I'm not sure if they got them at the lock and dam or in the deep channel across the river from me.
    The water can be low, but is not low right now, they have a lot of water coming down from the LOZ dam.

Good luck:big_smile:

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I snagged there yesterday just down from the ramp and up by the lock and dam. We only managed one asian carp just down from the ramp. I marked a bunch of fish down there so my guess is it was a bunch of asian carp.

We then ran up to the lock and there was a boat pulled over onto the bank and they did hit one small bill while we was there. No spoonbill for us but thankfully we got that carp and didn't have to wear a stripe on the ride home. :tounge_out:

4. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    How is the bottom structure in the osage? I have about 15 12/0 hooks are the rocks gonna eat them up or is it mostly a sand bottom. Sorry to ask so many ?s I have been looking at the aerial Photos of this section of the river for years and been wanting to get there and this weekend I will be. Can't wait! I love new water! Im usually snagging at winfield now but i grew up snagging below Bagnell. Thanks again for the info!

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    let us know when you go how you did

6. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Snagged up and down from mari-osa all day on March 29...NOTHING There were a few boats that had one tied up. Seemed to be alot of water. There was a wall of water coming over the entire dam and it was pretty turbulant. It was my first time to the area and it looked like THE SPOT but maybe to early or to much water I dont know. I would love to go back when the water is normal if it ever stops raining. If anyone has info I would appreciate it.