Snagging legal or not at the Wateree Dam?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by harper81, May 28, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Is snagging legal or not is basically what I want to know? That is the main point of all this rambling below....

Went up to the Wateree Dam last night and was fishing for awhile when 4 guys came out with 13ft poles and giant treble hooks attached to snag fish. I think its bull if it is legal, but that is not what set me off the most.

They caught a nice size cat and threw it in a little pool of water behind the fishing platform instead of putting in on a stringer or in a cooler. I had my shad back there to keep them alive so they must have seen me and the guy with me going back there numerous times. Anyway after we left they came down the path behind us and the first guy asked if we stole their fish. We said no and told him he could come look at our cooler if he so decided. Well of course he didn't look. Then another older guy came down the path and asked if we took their fish. And again we said no and he is more then welcome to come look in our cooler. He mumbles something under his breath and said he is going to start bringing a gun so people stop stealing his fish. So we said all we were doing back there was getting our shad we caught and he said "Yeah and our catfish." Whatever, so we get in my car and leave and they are right behind us. We got on a straight away and they came flying by and flipped us off. So being me I decided to add a little fuel to the fire when we got to the stop light I decided to blow my horn and wave. They stopped in the middle of the road and we drove off in the opposite direction. They didn't turn around which was nice because I didn't feel like getting beat up by some good ole boys over something we didn't do.

Here is what I don't understand. Why do people accuse someone of something and not follow up on it? If they thought we did it, why didn't they look in the cooler? If snagging happens to actually be illegal, I will definitely be making a call to DNR if I see them again.

2. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey Harper-it is too bad a few people spoil it for the rest of us. Obviously these guys didn't have their heads screwed on too tight. I would be careful. That area is pretty remote. Some people get real territorial esp around the tailrace because they feel it is their personal fishing hole when in fact it is public fishing. I have watched more than one argument develop over a preferred piece of concrete to make easy casts against the dam. As for the snagging, I don't know but I don't think it is ethically right to snag fish. Sort of a poor mans bow fishing.

3. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Harper I almost had the same thing happen the me and a fishing partner of mine while fishing of the pier at Santee State Park. We were accused of taking a womans purse of which we had noway to hide. But to bad for these two guys & one woman cause my fishing partner for the day was a Undercover DNR Law Enforcement Officer . He made a call and boat pull in shortly with blue lights flashing. The two men were charged with public intoxication, and to make it funny when asked to show her ID the woman found her purse in there truck. LOL . If you ever think its going to get out of hand call the law. Atleast you can say you tried settle it the right way when its all said and done.

4. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thats a good story JD sounds like they got what they deserve.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I feel your pain. I don't bank fish any more than I have to because of morons. I see enough drunks and bass turds at the ramp without having to fish with them.

6. JenJen

JenJen New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah, Bill, I do think it's legal. Sad and a waste, but legal. Personally, I don't see the sport in that at all. Anybody can get something stuck on something sharp. Especially when you stack the deck and add SO many sharp hooks. And I've had those snaggers at the dam offer to sell me their fish more than once. Too bad some rotten apples, eh?

And I totally get your point. If they really thought you stole their fish, they'd want to look. They just wanted someone to be angry at, and didn't want anything irritating like facts getting in their way!

7. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    It's called snatching. It is legal, and it's a great way to catch gizzard shad when they're running. And it doesn't sound like that was a bunch of good o'le boys, but a bunch of drunken red necks. I really hate they spoiled your trip. There is some good fishing there. If I'm gonna fish from the bank, I try to stay away from the platform, go down by the boat ramp. I wish I had known you were there. I was on the top side of the dam on the lake. Right on the other side of the dam. Like I was saying, it's a good place to fish, if you know how to fish it - and if you can stay out of the way of the drunks. Usually after dark, everybody leaves. Don't let a few discourage you from fishing the dam. I know by your posts that you want to fish, so don't let them run you off!

(If you ever need help, just holler "RONNIE," and if I'm there, I'll do what I can. :smile2: We'll take all their fish and make sure they see us doing it. Might even have to borrow their cooler to do it.)

8. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think it may be illegal to snatch stripers which alot of people will be trying to do now. they get buy with it by saying they are trying to get catfish but alot of the time they throw those back and only keep the stripers. wish they would put a stop to that.

9. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    It was a spur of the moment decision to go up to the dam anyway, so we just figured the platform would be good enough. Plus the guys that were there when we first got there were recreational fisherman so we made a deal I would catch the shad and they would give us their fish they catch if we wanted them. I will most likely not fish off the platform anymore other then to get bait. It was very easy to pull up a net full of threadfin every throw. I had almost as much fun doing that as I did fishing. I got a big gizzard shad. It was at least a pound if not 2. Didn't really know what to do with it. I need lessons on how to use big shad for cutbait. It was really annoying when the gates opened anyway. It was nearly impossible to fish and me and my buddy just sat there and waited for it to close again.

How do you get to the other side of the dam? How is the fishing on that side?

10. JenJen

JenJen New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If you're talking about getting on the other side of the river - not the dam side, just the rocks, then don't waste your time. One heck of a painful hike.

But if you're talking about getting on the water on the other side of the dam, getting on the lake, then you'd go in on the Buckhill side. The road that takes you to the dirt road turn off into the dam parking had a left before you get to that dirt road. Hold on - let me see if I can say that clearer. Take a left into Buckhill before you get to the dirtroad right that goes to the dam. Then take a right (not sure where, but it's not far in. If you go too far, the only rights take you into water.) and that will lead you to a boat ramp - that is sadly under construction right now. But there are plenty of people who like to fish off of the bank there, including my father-in-law. (someone may be able to give you more specific directions)

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    When I was in school in Cola, we used to take my conoe to the top of the Congaree at Gervais Street about once a week. We'd paddle across the river and cast net some shad and then catch stripers and cats.

We had more a than a few run ins with drunks there. Most were friendly, but we saw several fights break out, too. Mostly we would just unload and take off and stay away from the "wildlife" as much as possible.

One time a guy decided he was going to swim accross from the West Cola side. He got about 1/2 way across and got scared he might not make it, so he came over to our canoe and grabbed on for dear life! I figured if he tried to climb in he'd swamp us for sure, so we ended up towing him most of the way to the bank.

Another time a couple of undercover DNR officers came over to check our cooler (looking for little stripers) at the very moment that my fishing companion was - um, let's just say she was sitting on a bucket. We had to ask that they turn their heads for a moment while she pulled her pants up. Bet they told that story for weeks.

12. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I just hung up the phone with the chief of fisheries for SC. Currently there is a bill pending that would make it illegal to snag any fish within a 1000 feet of a powerhouse/dam. he said this came from people snagging striper below Wateree Dam and it should pass within the next week or two.

My second question was about goldfish as bait and he said they are legal where you can fish with minnows like Murray and Broad river.

My third question was about cast nets on Monticello and they are not allow on Monticello still.

I spoke to Wade Bales and he was very helpful and super nice.

13. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Whenever I have called with a question they have been super nice and helpful. They want the public to be involved (not just screaming at them for this or that). Plus, I think they'd much rather have you call with a question beforehand, rather than going out and maybe getting in trouble.

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the broad JenJen.

In a fews weeks Harper you will be able truely have something done about these hum.......socially challenged folks snagging. The bill needs one more reading and the governors signture.

15. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I can't wait. I all ready programmed DNR's phone# in my cell phone for just such an occasion.

16. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I read in a mag. the other day that snagging fish is illegal any where in the state of s.c. maybe if this bill is passed they will inforce it.

17. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I found the bill online
    http://www.scstatehouse.net/sess117_2007-2008/bills/686.htm

Hopefully it will in the upcoming rules and regs book. Apparently people snag in broad daylight too, there were a few out there Saturday morning.

18. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Not sure if anyone cares about this as much as I do, but its in the new rules and regs book on pg.8.

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ahhh drunks. Mudkip can tell you about the "hollerings" we have listened to from the boat at the "hot hole" in Belmont!! :wink:

Here is what I do. Get the number of the SCDNR and put it in your phone. Most weekends the SCDNR guys are out on the water. Most of the time they are doing safety checks on boats, checking for licenses, etc, so they are bored with the mundane stuff and would love to bust a good drunk, especially when they are breaking the law. Nine out of ten times drunks are not complying with the law in some shape or form so they are an easy target for law enforcement.

When that fails, bet them $10 they can't swim across the river and back....:wink:

20. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Now that sounds like a fun idea that I might have to try sometimes.