snagging hook die

Discussion in 'BUY AND SELL - MAKE $$$ - GET CHEAP DEALS' started by flathead_hunter, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    want to buy or make a snagging hook die something bigger than the 2 oz (5oz or bigger)that do it sells.... or if anyone knows of a way to make one let me know

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. ShotgunBill

ShotgunBill New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have used them and you lose gap in your hook by the diameter of the lead. I believe they are ok on gar but would not advise them on paddle fish or even carp. I believe you be better off on a 10/0 and bank sinker tied short.:confused2:

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    do it sells mold blanks, and you can goto your local machine shop and they can custom make the exact mold you want. i think that may be what you are looking for. that is iif you can't find the exact one you are looking for.

4. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    machine shops cost$$$$ unless you have connections:0a10: but here is what we come up with

user438_pic16260_1262584021.jpg

a 1 inch pipe cut to size a cap on the bottom notched for the hook(12/0)... didnt get to try it yet but im going to tomarrow

5. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Jr. looks like it should work. just wondering the distance between the outside of pipe to hook? Thanks Larry.

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    The lead will end up being the inside diameter of the pipe. Cool idea. :cool2:

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I was thinking along the same line except, I was thinking of making it of hardwood,(oak) drilling an 1 1/4 hole then cut the notches for the hook to set in. After the first use or so, the chard wood would have made for very easy release of the lead/hook combo.

8. vinestbrew

vinestbrew New Member

State:
    pgh,PA
    There is one on e-bay right now..

9. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city

yeah i bid on it but it ended sunday and wasn't home to make 1 more bid unless it's a different one

10. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    My thoughts on the pipe mold is your gonna have fun getting it out on account of the threads. I might be wrong but who knows. If this is so you could take a die grinder and a burr and eat the threads away so it will come out easy. Im thinking this as pipe threads are tapered and not stright like bolt threads.

Foggy

11. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I might have to barrow your idea...lol...I took a 2x4 and made the 3 lines and chisseled it out and ste the hook in thre and set a socket around the hook and poured the lead it leaks a little but it worked!!!

12. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    did it work for ya jr??

13. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    yeah we took the threads out choped in half screwed together with 2 hose clamps worked out ok.....
    probably weighs around 10oz.... i'll post some pics when i get some

14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Do-it molds makes a mold for this.It,s called a Snag weight.It comes in 6 different sizes to handle treble hooks from 2/0 thru 10/0.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.