Snagging for Spoonbill

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Boogan1, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    My wife and i have decided we would like to try snagging this year. I have never done it and have some questions about what equipment we will need, how to rig, how to snag, etc. I have several Penn 209 reels, will these work for snagging? What size line, hooks , sinkers do I need? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Boog

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Spoonbills the man to talk to.
    I'm saving up to book a trip with him,figure the first time out,it will be a lot easier to learn from a pro.

3. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    spoonfish, stays on top of the snagging, he can help you out, plus he keeps up with where the fish are., man to talk to.

4. tnmoparman

tnmoparman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Boogan
    Hear is how i do it. I use a large spinning reel with a 7'MH rod 50lb spiderwire stelth. Tie a 1 1/2 to 2 oz egg sinker with a 7/0 trebble about 2' above the sinker. Hope this helps.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Boogan welcome to Warsaw
    Your 209s will work great, thats what I use. I use 80# braided dacron line.
    Depending on the current start with a 10 to 16 oz. bank sinker tied to the bottom of your line, You want it to drop back to the bottom after every snag (this is for in a boat by the way). I then tie on (3) 10/0 treble hooks every 2 foot up from the sinker. Idle as slow as the boat goes and very your speed with the current to maintain bottom contact after each snag. I use my graph to locate the fish and know when to pull the rod back ( it saves a lot of muscles LOL). If you need any help I would be glad to show you. With my work schedule this year I am not planing on guideing but still will be able to do some on the week ends. Hope this helps holler if you have any questions.

6. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    Thanks spoon, that's the kind of info I was looking for, what kind of rods? I have one rod that is about 5 1/2 - 6 foot with action like a pool cue, I figure that one might work. I have a chance to buy a nice saltwater boat rod with roller guides, will that work? Thanks again, Boog

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Those big broom stick rods will work.
    When I first started I used them, the problem is they will wear you out and when you hook one its not nearly as much fun.
    I use ugly stick big water boat rods, heavy action rods rated for 20-40# test would be what I suggest.
    Mine are all 6.5 and 7 foot rods.

8. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Hey Spoonfish, have you ever used an 'Ozark Snagger" rod(made by Eagle Claw), I've got one that put a rollertip on, it's solid fiberglass, and quite heavy as far as rods go. The rods you use, how much do they run?

9. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    I have to agree with Troy I have snagged a 60lb spoonbill on a heavy snagging rod and I have snagged one around 40 lbs on a zebco rino baitcast rod with 12lb line the rino was by far the most fun the heavy rod just felt like it was a log being pulled up off thee bottom.

10. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I prefer using a lighter line like 20 pound test most of the time I'm snagging. I can cast further and hold more line on my reel. I placed a roller guide on one of my Tiger Rods last year and it made a world of difference. It probably reduced my break off's in half by having a roller guide that helps reduce the friction on heavy fish and heavy current.

Attached Files:

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    The big water boat rods run around 60 bucks.
    I fish from the boat and dont cast, I have very seldom broke the 80# test braided dacron unless there was a weak spot in the line.
    I carry a piece of 2x2 board about a foot long to wrap around the line in case I get snagged, you cant break it by hand.
    The dacron has no stretch and works much better the mono for instant hook sets.

12. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    can someone post a picture of a spoonbill for me, i don't think ive ever seen one

13. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    Thanks for the info guys, I think I am going to pick up that boat rod with the rollers if they still have it. Boog

14. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    The season opener here in KY is this comeing Wednesday Feb 1. I can't wait I have hit it every yaer for over ten years now. They did put a two fish limit on it here though, but with the size of most bills that's still plenty of fillets.
    Cody, here is a pic.

Attached Files:

15. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Thanks for the info Troy:thumbsup: Jay won't be able to make the Truman getogether, so I will probably drive out after work friday and fish saturday and hopefully share some big fish stories, or at least a beer and a cigar with new friends...

16. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I have an Ozark Snagger, but havn't had a chance to put it to the test yet.
    It seems to be a good rod, but I wish it was a bit longer.

Man, I can't wait 'till mid March!!! My message to the spoonies... :0a37:

Eric

17. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
  18. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    so, Vernon, have you been snagging yet? How did you do?

Eric

19. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Eric, Yea I went on the first with no luck. The water wasn't at the right level. I just got back from this afternoons outing. Here is a couple of pics of the big one. I was ashamed of the little one, but here in KY there is no size limit and no culling, Vern

Attached Files:

20. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Way to go Vernon.
    Season dont start here until March 15th. Wont be long now.