Snagging for Bait

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by mazdabob, Feb 27, 2006.

1. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    Well with the weather warming around here the shad are going crazy. So I decided it was time to snag some and freeze for bait later. Here's about 10 minutes worth of snagging.
    Shad Picture
    What's the best way to use these bigger ones as bait??? I usually only use shad that are 5-6".
    Thanks,
    bob

2. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I'm not sure about the laws in Iowa, but you'll want to make sure snagging season is in. In IL. & MO. season starts March 15th. I'd hate to see you get in to trouble over a bunch of stinky old shad! :)

Eric

3. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    Well the DNR guy I talked to while I was in the process of snaggin those guys, didn't say anything, so I guess I'm alright.

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Snaggung bait can be fun especialy when using multiple treble hooks. When the shad are running real good here close to the bank you can catch enough to fill a 5 gallon pail with a castnet in one throw.

5. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i just chunk the up, use everything if you got bigger cats in the area. the meat is good, the guts are good, heads and tails are good for big blue and big channels. i dont know what everyone else does but do you think you should scale them? it hink it would be alot easier to work with a scaled chunk.