Snagging Effects

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by John(Bullhead)Hagen, Feb 9, 2008.

1. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :angry:Last fall while up on the Ill. River below the Lock at Peoria i watched as 4 Flat Heads around 15 to 25 pounds were snagged by different boats.The DNR was running around so they were jerked into there boats and then released.What has got me upset and the only reason it took me this long to rant and rave is i studied up a little before making up my opinon.These fish were snaged in the belly tail and sides,and after looking at the size of the snaging hook the chance of dieing is allmost a sure thing.I think that if we are going to have snaging then it should be from the bank only,as this will cut back alot as most can not get near the dams and locks by bank.The sad part of this is they are not fishermen they are snaging for asian carp and doing it only for that but the Flatthead suffer.If i am wrong about the death of these prime fish let me know,but to me this may be leagle but it is ten times worse than just eating one.Thank You John

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    As always , its legal but not a good thing, I'm with ya on this and it would upset me also.

It would be nice to cast across them snagging lines,. and Power Pro usually works really good. I know that's the wrong attitude but if they are willing to be stupid.....so am I.

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I AGREE JOHN ITS A BAD DEAL

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    10/4 on the Bad Deal John!!! It Upsets Me also, But as stated above It's Legal,But that Dosen't mean We have to like it!! J.D.:sad2:

5. Goofy

Goofy Member

State:
    Moline, Illinois
    I agree John. Unfortunately snagging is not selective and I am sure that a high percentage of catfish snagged and returned are lost to us.

6. medic442

medic442 New Member

State:
    lonedell mo
    i love snagging!!!! however, i have often thought about some of the fish you snag and have to let go! like i said i love snaging, but as of late, i have been having second thoughts about it.

i wonder if it would be better if we all had a shorter snagging season and had to keep all the fish you keep. do it on a point system like duck hunters do... get you limit of spoons your done. snag a cat and say its worth 2 points, snag a spoon its worth 1 point.. etc etc... reach a certain point number.. and your done for the day.

just a thought

7. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    i am not a snagger and i am not putting anyone down for doing it but as far as I am concerned it IS NOT fishing.

8. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Well atleast the snaggers are catching and killing some of those asian carp and disposing of them. It's a shame that a few game fish probably do get killed in the process, but then again I'm sure that getting rid of a bunch of asian carp is worth a few dead catfish don't you agree?

Most places here in Missouri don't allow snagging within several miles of most dams. It sounds like they need to implement a policy like that where you guys are fishing.

The comments about snagging not being fishing are just absurd. I'd like to see you yanking on a rod all day trying to snag some carp/spooners because it's a heck of a lot more work than "real fishing" and I bet we land a lot more "whoppers" than you ever will. :wink:

9. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il

I agree with seth. Dont dis on something until you try it. Its a fun SPORT. Ive snagged under dams for a few years and ive never snagged a flathead. The only fish ive snagged into other than Spoons and Asians is shad. In bonaparte iowa they snag and dispose of thousands of pounds of asian carp. Would you guys just rather they not snag the asians and let them destroy the whole river system? Its common sense. Think before you speak. You have to look into the future. As of now the future isnt looking good unless we find a way to get rid of the MILLIONS of asian carp destroying the rivers. Snagging isnt the cure but it helps. As for me, ill take any help i can get so my great grandkids will have a place to catch something other than an asian carp.

10. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    The rivers have so many of those asian carps that i do not think snagging them is going to make much of a dent in their populations. if some people want to use that as a example to justify their snagging thats fine. As i said earlier I was not ttrying to put anyone down for it. I just do not personally consider it fishing and I will stick by that.

I remember one time I got a big bite while fishing for flat heads and reeling in a monster, well I had hooked him in the side I am sure he was biting but I did not get him in the mouth. I felt dissapointed, like I did not catch him fair. To me it is a pesonal battle of outwitting the fish and using my skills to catch them.

11. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I too snag spoonbill here in Kansas. We have a spring season on them....beginning in March.

There is no other way to catch spoonbill than snagging...it's unfortunate that other species sometimes get hit in the process.

In Kansas...a non-rough fish must be returned immediately to the water.

it is illegal to purposefully snag a catfish. I agree with that 100%. Not to say it doesn't happen...sometimes on purpose by some.

It's gonna happen...there are poachers in every aspect of outdoor life...you'l' not stop it. You can only hope to reduce it by calling in people who illegally snag when you FIRSTHAND witness them engaging in such activity.

But it's easy to tell the guys who are trying to hit a cat. They typically use a smaller hook and weight...and many will "tightline"...casting out...letting it set...waiting for a fish to swim into their line before they sock home the steel.

Or they'll be "probing" behind rocks or along edges of current seams.

Spoonbill snagging is an established method of fishing...and it's a LOAD of fun to nail a 70 to 100lb sow in heavy current.

Snagging is to some fishing purists as trappers are to hunting purists.

They too are regarded with disdain from those not in the practice of doing it themselves.

Bass fishermen are considered nuisance by the trout guys.

Keep in mind...MANY think catfishing has no sport about it. They are wrong...and besides...we have our rights just the same as they do.

My point exactly...if you don't like it...don't do it.

I wouldn't recommend coming around these parts and casting over a guys line in a purposeful effort to make him stop what he's legally doing.

It wouldn't take long for the err of your ways to be pointed out to ya....if not by the group of snaggers present...then the game warden when someone calls him on you for impeding their lawful pursuit. (Which is illegal in Kansas)

We should be more concerned with sticking together in this age of uncertainty...and evolving negative restrictions upon our outdoor past times.

Inhouse fighting and a divided house only makes PETA smile.

And when they smile...it's NEVER good for us.

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Never done snagging... and to me it is just another form of rod and reel fishing. I am sure it takes a bit of luck and science to it... so to me it should be fine. But I also am not versed or know the harmful effects that it can cause.. other than the obvious of potential killing fishing and not catching the right kind.

13. bc179whitetail

bc179whitetail New Member

State:
    St.Louis Missouri
    I snag also but only one time have I ever seen a cat snagged and it was at a dam area and it was a Blue cat. That was about 3 or 4 years ago. Where we snag now I have never seen a Flat Head or a Blue taken. Everyone has their own ideas but we get Spoons and Carp. I know it is possible to snag a cat but they are also very tough critters. I hope we never do snag one but if we do just try to get it off quick and back in the water.

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Naw, the good thing about the B.O.C. is we all are entitled to our opinions. I can somewhat agree with the post...."i am not a snagger and i am not putting anyone down for doing it but as far as I am concerned it IS NOT fishing...After all, that is his opinion and he is allowed to have and to express his opinion. Mine is probably a little more stringent... I think those guys who snag needs to get one of those big trebles in their backsides, get their backside jerked around for 15 to 20 minutes, and then see how much they like it. It is a wonder that any of the fish snagged lives to fight another day. LOL

15. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il

Would you rather get snagged in the back or snagged in the throat\lip??? hmmmmmm i think thats a no brainer!!! Fishing is fishing. So now are we going to start on the topic about "harming fish????? geez. You people say, "never tried it" but its not fishing!?!?!?! ok this is my last post about this topic.

16. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO

Well since I've been snagging for probably 10 years now and have NEVER caught a catfish while snagging, I think you guys make the problem out to be A LOT worse than you it really is. We have caught many spoonbill that were snagged and released and they acted just fine. Most times when you snag a big fish, the barbs are just barely under the skin of the fish. You would have to run a 6" knife straight in to a fish of that size to even worry about killing it. Most fish get snagged in the snout or the tails too.

Let me know when you find a way to make paddlefish bite on a baited hook or artificial lure and I will stop snagging. Until that day comes and the law says I can do it, I'll be ripping away for those spooners.

Patrick.....do you have the idea that if a snagger accidently hooks a big flathead that they are going to keep it? It's illegal to keep a game fish that was snagged. If it's a 10+ fish, I can bet money that you aren't going to kill that fish with a snagging hook. The big gaff's that some guys use to pull fish in the boat are what kills them.

I don't talk trash about trout, catfish, bass, bow fishing, snagging, or anything as long as it's a legal method. Heck if you want to get nitty gritty and DO NOT consider snagging REAL fishing then anybody that deer hunts with a gun to me is not REALLY hunting. Try hunting deer or turkey with a bow and arrow and see how well you do. If we want to really get tough, then try doing it with a longbow or recurve. :wink:

17. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've been snagging spoonbill for 25 years. The only other thing that has been snagged by me during that time has been alot of shad and skippies and on rare occasion a sand bass or two.

As far as being jerked around by a hook in my back or butt, no thanks, but then again, I wouldn't want one in my lip either! However, I've got a more advanced nervouse system that allows me to feel pain more than a fish anyway.

If it's a rod and reel with a hook on the end with a fish on it, then it's called FISHING!

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It's terrible. You read a thread, think about it, decide to post, say your thing and your done. Then you come back a little later and read what you had posted and think, MY God, did I write that. But there it is under your handle. I will still give everyone their opinion about snagging, noodling, jugging, trotlining, etc. But strike the rest of my comment please as it is just plain foolish. Thanks.

19. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    John i agree it may be legal but its not very responsable.

20. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Here are the regulations for snagging below KY. dam, notice the limits and that all fish must be kept.
    The area from Kentucky Dam to the new U.S. 62 bridge will be open to snagging 24 hours per day from January 1 through May 31. From June 1 through December 31, the area is open to snagging from sunset to sunrise. The area of the Tennessee River from the new U.S. 62 bridge to the I-24 bridge is closed to snagging year round. From the I-24 bridge to the confluence with the Ohio River is open to snagging year round. There is a daily creel limit of 8 fish and shall not exceed the daily creel limit for any sport fish in which the daily creel limit is under 8 fish per day. Snagging must cease after any sport fish daily creel limit is attained. However, snagging is not allowed on the newly installed fishing piers and jetties. All fish snagged below Kentucky Dam must be kept except shad or herring.

In the Tennessee River below Kentucky Dam, a snagging rod, including the handle, may not be longer than 7-1/2 feet and must be equipped with line, guides and reel. Only one hook may be attached to the line, either single or treble.