Snagging Chain of Rocks

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by stump jumper, Mar 8, 2008.

1. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    DOES ANYONE KNOW IF WE ARE GOING TO BE ABLE TO SNAG AT THE CHAIN THS YEAR

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    NO, Something to do with the Sturgeon I do believe, there is more on this in the Illinois River section.

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I heard Chain Of Rocks was off limits to snagging this year also.

4. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    This may sound crazy but, What is the Chain of Rocks you speak of ?

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I almost asked that question yesterday. I've heard of it for years, but don't know what it is.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    It looks almost like a lowhead dam. If I remember right it's caused by a bedrock formation across the river that the corps couldn't get out of the way so they built the chain of rocks canal. River is real shallow coming up to it (as you can imagine with all the sediment that gets dumped as the water slows to go over the thing)

I'm probably dead wrong, but I looked it up before I went fishing over that way because I'd see it from the brides driving through St. Louis and never could figure out why the heck it was there:smile2:

7. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    That is true. It is a natural rock formation that goes all the way across. I wouldnt take my boat over it no matter how high the river is. Especially after my last episode. They built the canal to get the barges around it. I guess now that we have the ability to change it, it isnt cost effective to do so.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Here ya go Rob.

http://www.greatriverroad.com/somadco/granite/lockdam27.htm

That low water dam we speak of was actually "Built" to make the pool north of the dam so that the Corp can maintain the 9 foot depth needed for Commercial Navigation. Holds kittens in the spring to I hear :wink:

9. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Cuz, Some time this year between your Tournaments I would like to get over there to fish with ya since we never got together last year.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Just like last year :smile2: I'd love to have you. You'll need to just pin me down to a time Rob. My schedule is usually "Crazy" at best and many of my river trips are spur of the moment. It would be best if you come late summer or fall time frame as I'm alot more confident I can find you some fish that time of year. Hate for you to come up all that way and we not be able to find the fish. Lets try and plan something in August, Sept, or Oct. If we have a couple of days we can 'usually' find some fish somewhere. :wink:

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    My post on the Chain Of Rocks being built is only partially true. There has always existed a limestone rock bed across the river in that location. The Corp of Engineers built the low water dam up even higher so that they could maintain the pool of water between there and the dam to 9 feet, after they built the diversion canal. Back in the day, if the river was low, the river boats would have to sit and wait for water levels to come up before they could get up and down the river, hence the need for the diversion canal.

12. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Cuz, Thats sounds great to me. In the Mean time Good Luck and Good Fishing.
    Rob

13. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
  14. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    that is a very big catfish you catch on line

15. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I believe he bought it off a fish truck driven by JW just before he turned it over:smile2::smile2::smile2:

16. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    whoops, I thought he was talkin about the fish Cuz is holding. Sorry fellers. No harm meant.

17. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    on rod n real 1hour 20 plus minutes till we netted him and working on downloading the video of the catch it was the only fish we caught that night sat about 7hours with a loaded video camera when he took the bait we were actually ready
    :crazy:

18. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    if you want the truth ................if you have seen the documentory on national geographic mthe video that they show of the world record is the video of me catching my fish in my avatar,the only pictures and video of the world record were taken by me and owen smith my partener
    we were the only other boat out the night the record was caught, if you have seen tims video of the world record this fish is the bonus footage:wink:is this fish
    p.s.i havent seen a dime !!!!!

19. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    what about boat acesss can you snag from a boat or not or how far belowe:crazy:

20. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Snagging from a boat? good question wish i knew?? Did u try calling the DNR office??