Snagging at Oceola

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by flatheadHunter84, Mar 15, 2008.

1. flatheadHunter84

flatheadHunter84 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Weather was cold and fishing was kind of slow, Everyone hooked there fish early, most boats only had one to two fish on them most of them didn't even look 34in./ I only hooked two, one was about 6in, the other was an 86lb sow. Im going to make it my new profile pic tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone had better luck some where else???? Or if it was just slow everywhere.

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Just talked with a friend of mine and he got 1 around 50 lbs. and said they also caught 9 that were about a foot long. He counted 26 boats at the mouth of the Sac/Osage and turned around and got out of there.

He heard someone got killed last night when a boat ran into another one after dark. Don't know the details but he thought it was on the Sac and they were running down river after dark and ran into them.

3. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Morris,
    Congrats on the huge spoonbill. Thanks for the post , and the snagging report. good luck

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That's a big range, lol. Congrats on your catch!

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
  6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Dang, I assume they weren't using running lites. Either way it's a sad deal. thanks for the link Troy.

7. capmadlee

capmadlee Member

State:
    p hill missouri
    if you stayed in the sac river the boats werent so bad. i ended up catching 17 fish of the day. 10 were gar, 1 drum,and 6 spoonies. only one keeper and it was 70lb. witch tied my biggest. i have never seen so many small spoonbills hooked. if they werent a keeper they were 6 inches long. i must have seen 20 to 30 of they dead floating.
    good luck to all the rest of the year

8. flatheadHunter84

State:
    Missouri
    i was out there at 1:30 IT started raining so hard, people were drag racing from horse shoe bend back to the brushcreek boatramp. I was going 20 Mph and they were flying by me. I didn't know there was a wreck though.

9. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    The guy that died was only 22 years old too.:eek:oooh:

Did they just stock a bunch of little paddlefish there or something? Thats weird to catch all those little ones.

Good job on the catching some big ol sows! I fished Tablerock and four of us boated 7 legal bills, but the biggest was only 47 lbs. :confused2:

10. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Here's a few pics.

Attached Files:

11. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
  12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
  13. flatheadHunter84

State:
    Missouri
    Fishing today was a little better for us, still some small ones but i got another nice one I dont know what it weighed didn't have time to stop and see. I still don't have pics of the first days big one yet they are on my buddies camera and he hasn't e-mailed them to me yet. The water temp was 46 to 47 depending on the hole.

Attached Files:

14. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Man that thing is FAT!! I guess the sows move up a lot sooner on Truman than they do on Tablerock. The biggest I've heard of anybody catching down there was a 60 pounder, but the mostly the skinny 30-40 lbs males.

15. flatheadHunter84

State:
    Missouri
    anyone have an updated report, i leave tomorrow

16. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    The water is rising every like crazy is all I know. Be careful and watch for debris.

17. streamer78

streamer78 Member

State:
    Missouri
    Flatheadhunter, where you gonna be at? The River is rising Fast! Latest report from NOAA at Schell City doesn't show the river falling until Saturday night. I was up at taberville monday, and motored down almost to Roscoe. All I caught were small 1-2lb bills. I only graphed a small number of big spoonbill, and never hooked into one. Saw 7 other boats with no fish. I think around Osceola would've been alot more productive. There is going to be a lot of debris coming down that river after all of the ice storms of the winter. Last year, during high water snagging, I caught most of my fish in sharp river bends. The spoonbill would stack up in edies on sharp river bends and feeder creek inlets. Hope this helps and good luck! Let us know how it goes.

18. streamer78

streamer78 Member

State:
    Missouri
    Seth,
    Heard on Ozarkanglers you might be down to Miami this weekend? If so let me know when. Not sure if I can get away this weekend, but I'll find out!

19. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Well I'm trying to find out if it's flooded there at Riverview or not. I've never been down there but have been wanting to try it. I sure don't want to drive all the way down there and then be flooded out. :eek:oooh:

20. swmo guy

swmo guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Could anyone suggest any good places to go snagging from the banks in the Osceola area?