Snagging at Bonaparte?

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Catfish_Calvin, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Anyone drove through Bonaparte lately? Just wondering if anyone has been fishing there yet. The Asian carp and spoonbill should be moving up that way soon.

2. EERSFAN

EERSFAN New Member

State:
    Burlington IA
    went to Ottumwa today, lotd of fish but no spoonies :sad2: lots of people there

3. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC Ed!

Do you by chance grive a blue Ford diesel truck with Ohio plates?

Just wondering...We were passed by one on 34 on our way back to Fairfield from Ottumwa. There were a ton of people at the hydro when we drove by it.

4. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Suppose to be 66 Thursday. YES!!!!! The fishing should start heating up

5. larryhagedon

larryhagedon New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I drove around Bonaparte, to the boat dock and across the bridge this afternoon, (Mar 1, 09) and I did not see any fishing going on. The opinion is that with a few nice days, next weekend will be about the start of it.

larry in Keosauqua

6. EERSFAN

EERSFAN New Member

State:
    Burlington IA
    nope blue dodge mini van.

7. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Not yet but it can't be to much longer.

8. larryhagedon

larryhagedon New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have been out a couple of times at Bonaparte, across the river at the little park. No luck so far. No competition either.

larry

9. larryhagedon

larryhagedon New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have been out a couple of times at Bonaparte, across the river at the little park. No luck so far. No competition either.

I managed to lose a sinker by overcasting into rough water, but the snags are not that bad.

larry

10. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Hey thanks for the reports guys. I went to Lock and Dam 18 this morning for a few hours. There was 10-12 boats. No one was having any luck. We managed 2 small ones. Then went to Lock and Dam 19 until dark and only got one more. Last month we found a hot spot at 19 but when they opened up the dam the fish were gone. Hoping Bonaparte heats up soon! Im off work all next week!

11. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Anyone report from Bonaparte? Should be good fishing within the next 5 days!

12. larryhagedon

larryhagedon New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I went down to Bonaparte for a while this Sunday afternoon. Several people snagging, not catching anything, at least not from the park across from Bonaparte.

I didnt stop on the Bonaparte side. There were few people snagging there too.

I thought maybe I had a big one slap my line once, but I didnt hook anything.

larry in Keosauqua

13. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Thanks for the info Larry. Greatly appreciated. Should be any day. Im getting antsy. :)

14. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I heard at work today that a couple small spoonies were pulled out at Boneaparte this weekend.

15. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So OK I've never tried snagging spoonbill before. How much pole, reel and line do I need?
    have a good one
    just

16. larryhagedon

larryhagedon New Member

State:
    Iowa
    A friend of a friend said he snagged one spoonill at 60 some pounds and a 72 pounder from a boat near Eldon.

Channel cat are supposed to be hammering worms and shad guts along the banks. I however skunked out this evening.

larry in Keosauqua

17. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I use a 6 foot shakspere sturdy stick with a big open face spinning reel and 30 pound test mono. I'm using a 20 wal mart special for a reel.

I used to go to Oakland Mills and snag carp below the dam just to get warmed up.

18. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    double post....opps!

19. larryhagedon

larryhagedon New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I cant even tell you what brands I have, a stout pole and a big open face reel. I went to the bait shop in Keosauqua and asked Big Mike to set me up and he did. He loaded nylon filament backing and a braided line on my new reel, 80 pound as I recall.

larry

20. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Wheres that bait shop located at?

I went to Lock and dam 18 this morning. Didnt have any luck on spoonbill. Swung by Bonaparte to check it out and no one was snagging. Must not be any fish in there yet. I didnt even wet my line. Now im waiting on my shad gut to thaw out. Gonna go catch a mess of channel cats. Gotta take advantage of these nice days while we have them.