Snaggin Spoon bill on the Mississippi river in Missouri?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by thomas feldon, Mar 26, 2006.

1. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Anyone having any luck on snagg'n for spoonies. My Friend and I, got 17 big head carp and nothing else. I know it's not up to what it was last few yrs ago, but, how ya'll doing? Any luck? And I don't mean the other's in mid state " no offence intended". How are you doing on the snagg'n? Tell me what ya got! How high is the river and what ya think it's doing. I can't go inland from the missisip right now, so how ya'll doing and where at on the Missip. I Need Spoonies!
    I don't mean to sound desspret just yet, but I'm getting close.
    I just kind of like the sweet taste of white, suckulent flakes, of moist fish meat, rolling acrosse my tonuge with a hint of spicey deep fry and some more of everything. WAKE UP!:happ-big: I WANT TO KNOW WHERE THEIR AT.
    HELP.

2. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Shoot.... don't look for no help from me. I have 1 spoon this year after damn near 12 hours of hadcore snaggin. Hope things start looking up for all of us. We still have a month and a half.

3. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Me and a buddy are hittin' Alton dam saturday morning(finally) to see if we can't drag in a spoonie or 4...Good luck gents

4. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Hey Jeff.... Good Luck saturday. We are gonna hit the rocks friday and saturday see what we can drag in. I just don't fish melvin price because losing so many rigs there got to expensive.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I went snaggin last week also. Had about the same luck as everyone else. No spoonbills, but did have a blast snaggin those big head asians. Those things fight like freight trains. I wish the department of conservation would allow snaggin for asian carps year round. Sure is alot easier, and safer to catch them for bait snaggin then trying to get them to jump into the boat.

6. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    I here you Bruiser, I've left a bunch of lead and hooks around Chain of Rocks.

7. ftlstrings

ftlstrings New Member

State:
    MIssouri
    What size treble hooks are you all using for your spoons?

~M~

8. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    8/o tied above 5-6 oz's of weight

9. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Well, we hit Alton dam about 3:45am so we were snaggin by 4am, using 10/0 hooks w/5oz bank sinkers we managed 6 tiny catfish, 1 white bass, 1 bighead carp and 1 drum(my only fish), by 9am we were done. Happy just to get out there:)

10. ftlstrings

ftlstrings New Member

State:
    MIssouri
    I havent been able to get out snagging yet, though i am looking forward to it.

11. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    When't out today after the storm rolled threw.
    Storm blew threw at 5:30am to 6:20 am. Loaded up and hit the river by 7:45 am. What a great day; Not to work!
    Caught 2 cats 8 and 4 lb's. Got some red mushroom from the banks up river. Got sunburned and finally at 4pm my friend caught a 40lb'er at a mouth of a creek. I don't even know the name of. At 5pm my friends wife called from leadington and said storms moving in fast. Within 15 min. the sky's clouded up and we hit the 3 mile ride down the river to the ferry at ST. Gen.
    Clouds were moving in fast but no rain yet.
    Loaded the boat, went to the Citco got some refreshments and holycow; I just made it to the truck and it hit hard. Hail, shingle's coming off roof's. Powerline's down. We pulled our truck in between the Citco and another building and whatched a truck cap and a swingset tumble by, all within 10 min's.
    What a great day not to have to work!~

12. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Hey guys, went out tonight and did ok. 3 Spoons, one 22 , one 20, & one 30. My dad got the bigger one. Figures. lol The 22 was a lil sawed off. Looked like a prop got him.

Heres some pics

Looks like things are finally gettin goin

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      36.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      47.2 KB
      Views:
  13. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Well at least you got some, wish I could. I've been getting nothing but yellow carp. I'd settle for a little fight from a big head carp right about now. Might try some of the meat too. :rolleyes:

14. dcmust

dcmust New Member

State:
    missouri
    We snag below lock 25. Have'nt been out latley but in the early part of season we got three on the first day of season, only one on a second trip, and three more on a third trip.But they were all in the first part of the season.Did get a 47 and 55 pounder up at lake ozarks three weeks ago.

15. j.klein

j.klein New Member

State:
    missouri
    snaggin those big ole spoonies sureis alot of fun!!!!

16. hunter_x

hunter_x New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Glad to see some of you guys gettin out there. I used to go out below Bagnell for every opener but haven't made it since moving to Lake St. Louis. Keep up the good work fellas!

17. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I was at Lock #22 last week and there were asian bigheads all over the place jumping. I was white bassing and caught 2 flathead with twister tails. I put on a larger spoon with a heavier rig and caught a couple of asian bigheads. They take forever to land (25 -30 lbs). They really pile up at the dam at times. Hannibal Mike There is a very good video on spoonies that was filmed partially in MO. If you like these unique fish, you might enjoy the video. Spring just requires that I go for spoonies and mushrooms