Snaggin' catfish!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jga, Apr 12, 2007.

1. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    I recently read in my local newspaper about a resident of my hometown who caught a 50# catfish on a fishing trip he had taken the previous weekend. The article had a photo of him in his garage, standing next to his catch which was hanging from the rafters. I normally would love to see local pics of fisherman and hunters with their bounty proudly displayed for everyone to enjoy. This particular one distubed me a little, though. It would seem that this guy was not catfishing but snaggin' for spoonbill. Although it is illegal to keep a snagged catfish, this wasn't exactly the case. You see, he did not snag the fish, he snagged another fellow catfishermans jugline which he claimed had been abandoned. On the end of the jugline a 50# catfish. Not only do I think this to be unethical, I'm not even sure if this is legal. It is probably a grey area because the fish was hooked in the mouth. I think he should have at least contacted the doc and repoted the abandoned jugline. The tag on the line was still intact because the newspaper released the name and adress of the owner. Anybody else out there think that this is just wrong?

2. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    YES! A couple years back we had a fisherman catch a huge flathead on a troutline. This is illegal here in Iowa, and he CPR'd it. Had he not been on the police force I could see him keeping it though...

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    We have more stringent regs here in NY. No jugs,trotlines, limblines, heck we can only have two poles in the water at once.

4. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I agree to disagree with the ethics behind this man's actions. Other measures could have been taken to make the situation proper.

5. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I think it was wrong for what he did. For one thing he had to have intentionally snag the jugline because he could obviously see it and it had the persons name and address on it. My guess is that the jugline was not abandoned but probably got seperated from the rest of jugs or the fishermen may not have been back around to run it. He would not have been allowed to keep it in OK.

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't think I could've kept the fish legal or not. Just seems to be bad form. If the owner of the jug was not within speeking distance, the jug was legally abandoned her in Mo., but he was snagging, he snagged a catfish. He should've released it immediatly. I saw this article too, and wonder how long before mdc comes knocking on his door.

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    As long as there are two humans on the planet, one of them will be a slug...:sad2:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Trapezoid: a device for trapping zoids.

8. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    There is nothing worse than somebody runing other peoples lines .More than likely that ant the first line he ever ran. He should not of took the fish. Just shows what kind of fisherman he realy is .hopefully he will get a fine over it because he confesed he took the unlawfully.If that would of been my line I would be knocking on his door if Iseen that

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I like that. A lot.

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    As stated above,free-floating jugs in Mo. must be in sight of the owner at all times.Won't comment on the ethics of it cuz I wasn't there.Its possible the fish was either dead or well on its way when found.

11. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    i just went throught the process of having my jugs ran for me and there really aint alot of things that hack me off more. that there is pretty much a nuckle busting action if i catch someone running my lines. there is no way the guy "accidentally" snagged a jug. he could obviously see it and should have stayed away.....jmo though

12. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thank you everyone for your input. The thing that really gets me is this guys picture in the paper. Like he is some master angler or something. Save that space in the paper for real sportsmen and sportswomen.