SNAGGED A 12 to 15 POUND ASIAN CARP RIP!

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Human Resources 31, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Human Resources 31

Human Resources 31 New Member

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    There a huge problem on the illinois river I don't see it improving the goverment needs to step in or something

:angry:

Attached Files:

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Look at all that cut bait!

3. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    Have any of you guys tried using that as cutbait? I have used regular carp and caught channels and flatheads on the heads but do those work well to because if so that is just awesome.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    #1 fresh Skipjack
    #2 fresh large shad
    #3 fresh Asian carp
    #4 all the rest

Fresh Skips & large Shad are not always available, but Asians are always easy to get and I usually end up with them as bait. Last night we boated 83 lb's of catfish using asians.

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've caught some decent channels and blues on cut Asian carp. Shad and bluegill are still my top choices.

6. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2004/07/20.htm Don't believe all carp taste the same. There is no comparison between the firm, white, flaky meat of bighead and silver carp and the darker, strong-tasting meat of common carp. Silver carp also happen to be a better source of Omega-3 fatty acids (the "good chloresterol") than salmon.

7. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    yeah...but carp tastes like ass......well...exception is the...what i call cross breed (like myself), the buffallo...:wink:

8. Human Resources 31

Human Resources 31 New Member

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    I didnt even think to cut it up for cut bait. I did drive my knife threw it a couple times through the noggin and tossed him back in for a turtle. He floated down stream as hopefully that sent a message to his budddies! :smile2:

9. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    On our setlines we use alot of asian carp now, probably 80-90%? Hard to beat a fish that jumps in your boat at every set,lol. We fillet the sides off. chunk the "fillets" up. Bring a good knife or scissors as the skin is very tough and has to be cut off the hook.

10. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    I seen at the deer show some are eating the asians, dont believe I will. They were filleting off a loin thing from the top. It still had bones when they went to cook it. Illinois bowfishing group has a pamphlet on it if anyone's that hungry. Make great bait for fishing and trapping. Greasy, slimy,boney and stinky!

11. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have bowfished carp on occasion. It is so damn fun killing those things. I felt like Robin Hood of the lake:smile2:. I recommend it to anyone who is annoyed by carp. Given the posts above, it's a win-win. All the fun of shooting em plus the benefit of bait.

12. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    :0a27:I'm gonna try using them for bait because I usually drive 20 miles to get shad at the starved rock damn and I never thought to use asian's as bait.Thanks for the info and I'll let you know how I do.And yes they are a huge problem in the Illinois and the Fox river...

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    oh they werk and theys fun snagging (LOL) I tend to spend alot time on the river and we get board catching nuttin we goto slaughter asians mode....there good for enetertainment and cutbait(LOL)

14. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Here's a pic of one that couldn't get away from my arrow in time:smile2::angry:

Attached Files: