Smoothe drag

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kscathunter, Feb 5, 2007.

1. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    anybody use theise guys Smooooooth Drag
    7578 Braceo St.
    Oak Hills, CA. 92344
    ive emailed them twice to order some new drags but havent heard from them. wondering if they are just really busy? I guess ill have to call them.

2. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Drags are over rated to me as most of the time I have either choosen or been forced to have my drag cranked. Fishing for crappie from a boat with a 12' rod you learn to fight them with your rod. I did not start really using my drags until I starded fishing in the ocean and breaking lines from really large bat rays 80-100# or so, then I had to make sure my drag was adjusted or i would either break or get spooled. Bass fishing my reel drags sucked and I ended up cranking them down as hard as I could. For cats I dont bother with messing with the drag until I get a fish on, a big reel, heavy line and relatively small cats 15# or so dont call for any worry. I dont think cats fight that hard, atleast not like bat rays:big_smile:. The only reels I have had problems with were Daiwa TD-x bass reels, their drags suck. Even cranked a 6# bass could pull drag, so a dented drag added to drag strength. Probably more impt to check your line for nicks and replace as needed than to worry about having the smoothest drag.

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    No, I guess you probably don't need a drag to fight a little crappie at best 15 inches long. As for the question at hand I know people that have the smoooth drags and really like them. No more jerky drag they say.

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well i got tired of waiting for them to send me an invoice and called in my orded fast transaction and they said they would be sure they were in the mail today:cool2: Thanks for the link im swapping drags putting my 6000 drag in a jerky wornout 5000 and puttind the new carbontex in the 6000. and im rebuilding a rode hard put away wet 209 that my friend got for free. it was in some bad shape still rough around the edges but now is smooth and working good except the drag witch is locked up and riped.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I put the carbon fiber washers on my 6000 today and im impressed. to see the difference i tightened up the drag all the way and took a stock drag pull on the scale and came up with around 10#s. swaped in the new drag tightened er down and got around 16#s wow:dribble: :cool2: nice n smooth. definatly worth the $$$$$

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Brandon

I've got a Carbontex drag on order for the same sized reel. I'd been thinking about it for awhile, and your post kind of motivated me.

8. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have all my 7000"s with this setup. I ordered 6 sets last summer and love them.I have tested with 60lb plus fish and no problems so far in the Missouri river.:wink:

9. Gunner-Fisherman

Gunner-Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes I have used them before in Abu's... Love them, they are soooooooo much better!

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Brandon, I read your post late but I too have drags from them. They are a big step up from "stock". I always hated that stop and go jerky crap when fighting a fish. I don't crank them all the way down, I use a combo of thumb pressure and tension. Still every stop and start jerk from the old drags could mean a break-off. I don't worry now cause everything is smooooooth. lol.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Well, I put the Carbontex drag / smoothie washers in last night. I haven't tried to measure it yet, but I can tell it's a lot stronger than the old drag, which measured at 10 or 12lbs when I tested all of my reels last winter. With the 6000 having that good of a drag, I may be able to retire some medium sized Penns!

I may have done something wrong? When I loosen the drag most of the way the crank becomes harder to turn, like it is fighting the drag just a little bit all of the time. If I tighten the drag down some, the handle turns freely. I'm guessing it could be a washer out of place, but I didn't notice it until I went to put the reel away. I'll probably take it apart again tonight and see what I can figure out...

12. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    I put the carbon fiber washers in my abu's last winter. A very high quality product. Also, you'll get better performance if you don't put the drag washers in dry. Grease them up a bit with some quality drag grease before installation.