Smooth Drag Washers?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Iowa_Josh, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Anyone have a review for me? I would like to update the drags on a couple 6500's.

2. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    I have used both the Smoothies and the Carbontex Smoothies and I prefer the Carbontex. Which ever you choose you'll like em'>

3. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Is the difference that big?

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I can't give any help between the two of them but the smoothies are much better than the stock ones they replaced on my 7000's. No more jerky stops and starts. Excellent product.

5. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I finally got the washer set and tried them out a bit in the garage. Like Jake said, I got the carbontex. They seem to increase the available drag quite a bit. I don't have a scale to test this out. Quite nice for $10.

6. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    How easy or hard is it to change the drag washers on Abu reels? Does the kit come w/instructions? Any help woill be greatly appreciated.

whatever it takes

Cheez

7. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    This article by John Tokie (Abu) explains it all really well. It's a relatively simple job if you lay everything out in a clean, uncluttered area and keeps things in order.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13940

8. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Thanks Scott that article spells it out pretty plain. I'll order my new washers and put them in now. I have been wanting to do this for a while but didn't want to send my reels off to be worked on. Maybe now my Abu's will have a little better performance on the larger fish.

Thanks again

whatever it takes

Cheez

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Maybe there is an article on how to lube the bearings too? you might as well do that and clean your levelwind out. You can get the bearings out of the spool if it has them when that side plate is off and the levelwind cleaning you need the other sideplate off to do.

10. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    No insturctions are included with the SmoothDrag products. I use their Carbon washers, and love the results. I have only used them greased. Caught a 13# channel in 17' water with an Abu 5500 ans was amazed with the smoothness.
    When disassembling for replacement: Take off a part, then immediately re-install, now you know how to take it off and put it back. I would also suggest laying the parts on a newspaper, etc., in the order it came off the reel, then work your way backwards for re-assembly.
    Abu's are very simple once you get into them, very few parts in my opinion.

11. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Just threw some of them Carbonex washers on my 6501 this week. I will be out all weekend putting them to the test! Wasnt too hard to install them, but make sure you place the parts you remove in order to help with the reasembly. Its not rocket science but its not a bad idea to have your reels schematics with you just in case. If you dont have them for your reel you can find them here. http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/

Next I think I am gonna replace the stock bearings with the ceramic ones. Has anybody tried these?

12. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Rob, I just read up on them and supposedly the ceramic bearings don't cast that much farther or not farther at all in some cases. I have heard great things about the level wind kit with two bearings though. There is a bearing kit for the cog wheel that drives the level wind too. They might be worth a look.

13. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yeah I was looking at the level wind and the cog bearing kit. I will prolly fully pimp up my reel during this upcoming long Minnesota winter.

14. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I would but it would only be a 10 minute project. It would be an expensive 10 minutes. I've magged about 5 of the reels though and that is cheap. It gets you some distance and makes them really tame. I don't think I could cast completely at ease before I did that without some spool tension. And you can throw really hard.:embarassed:

Oh, and auto tranny fluid the bearings is supposed to speed them up too.

15. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Got to try out my new washers on a lil 12lber. Although he only made a couple of small pulls of the drag on the way in the washer did seem to be pretty darn smooth. I would recomend them! :big_smile: